PDA

View Full Version : WD TV Mini - dump DVDs to it, best way

FAB
10-02-2010, 10:02 AM
HI all

I've purchased one of these from Acquire today on special ($121) and am now anxiously awaiting delivery.

My main reason for buying one is to get all the kids' DVDs (and yes, they are legal, thanks) on to a USB drive so they can watch them on the TV much more easily...they keep losing the cases, which annoys me (I'm sure other parents here can relate to this).

I know the WD TV mini doesn't have 1080P but I'm not worried about that as my 32" Panasonic is 'only' 1080i - which the Mini does. I am happy it has upscaling though, as our Panasonic DVD player does too and it makes a huge difference.

Anyway my question:
What is the best way to dump the DVDs onto a USB drive. Does anyone have a preference that's quick and easy?

Cheers and thanks

Coaster
10-02-2010, 10:06 AM
I would shrink them.

p.s. google the third word.

FAB
10-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Yeah I have seen DVD Shrink being used...was more keen just to dump the entire vob over to the drive, but though there must be an easier way...guess not though, thinking about it.

Coaster - you must be on a roll! That's 4 or 5 posts in ten minutes! :)

Coaster
10-02-2010, 10:15 AM
:)
Using DVD Shrink will save a lot of space allowing more DVDs to be stored.

Dumping the VOB files will require a program that can run VOB files like VLC.
Also these will be around 4Gb in size.

Shrinking them will give you a 700Mb avi file that can be played by almost anything.

FAB
10-02-2010, 10:16 AM
The Mini plays VOBs, so the specs say. Keen to keep the quality as high as possible.

CYaBro
10-02-2010, 10:24 AM
My main reason for buying one is to get all the kids' DVDs (and yes, they are legal, thanks) on to a USB drive so they can watch them on the TV much more easily...they keep losing the cases, which annoys me (I'm sure other parents here can relate to this).

Haha, you say the DVDs are legal BUT it is not legal, in New Zealand, to rip a DVD onto another storage medium.
But anyway that's a topic for another day.
I would use DVDFab Free edition: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
Choose if you want the full disk (Keeps menus and any extras etc) or just the main movie and make sure it is set to DVD9 and NOT DVD5, which will compress it if required.

FAB
10-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks CYB
I thought the law had changed to allow anyone who purchased a DVD to be able to play it on another medium, as long as you didn't sell the original? Or was that only CD to MP3s?

CYaBro
10-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks CYB
I thought the law had changed to allow anyone who purchased a DVD to be able to play it on another medium, as long as you didn't sell the original? Or was that only CD to MP3s?
Only CDs can be ripped legally.