PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you find an open network

nedkelly
09-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Hey today was using an old laptop with wireless and because it is not in my routers MAC filtering table it blocked it, so my laptop went to an open network.
There is no password on the wireless and the router password is still the default one.
I have quite a few houses on three sides, any way to find which one it could be and offer to help them?

Renmoo
09-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Door-knocking?

nedkelly
09-02-2010, 03:21 PM
depending on what wireless specification. How far could they be? Because im on main road on left side and then on right there is a row of houses and then another from a side street.

ronyville
09-02-2010, 03:21 PM
What to do when you find an open network?

Stay away! Cos you never know who owns that network and should you connect to it and surf away especially online banking and emails, your username and passwords could easily be captured. But that's just me, others may disagree.

nedkelly
09-02-2010, 03:24 PM
I have my own internet to use for that.

jwil1
09-02-2010, 03:31 PM
If you know the name of the people who live around you, maybe try looking at the names of the other PCs on the open network.

They *may* give you a clue, but it's a bit of a long shot :)

And obviously, the strength of the network will tell you how close you are to the open network....

Speedy Gonzales
09-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Doesnt matter if you use wireless anyone else may / will see what youre doing

Thats one of the negatives, if you use wireless. But yup if its got the name of whoever in the network, and you know who they are, visit them

Zippity
09-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Go knock on a few doors anyway.

It is a great way to meet your neighbours and I'm sure that they will appreciatee getting a "heads-up" from someone who knows computers.

There are a lot of "blind" users out there :(

nedkelly
09-02-2010, 03:43 PM
yeah well thing is on my laptop I have 5 networks showing up. Two of mine and three others.

Speedy Gonzales
09-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Stand in the middle of the road and yell secure your bloody wireless networks idiots :lol: I'm sure someone will hear you :p

nedkelly
09-02-2010, 03:57 PM
yeah stand in the middle of the main road

Bozo
09-02-2010, 03:58 PM
See if they have any printers you can connect to.

One network I found once (when I wasn't feeling malicious) I set their printer to print 100 copies of 'How to secure your wireless network' for the model of the router they were using ;)

I also may have accidentally set a 80gb hard drive full of pr0n to format itself... but that might have been a dream ;)

nedkelly
09-02-2010, 04:34 PM
well there is a laptop connected

lakewoodlady
09-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Recently went and stayed at sister's place in New Plymouth. Next door had an unsecured network and so went knocked on door to tell them that I could see all their files as well. 11 year old boy said "I will tell my parents when they get home. " Two days later, I can still access their networkk, files and everything else. Even offered to fix it for them, but they didn't want to know. Duh?

LL

nedkelly
09-02-2010, 06:56 PM
hmm I think I remember a thread like this before with you saying that.

robsonde
09-02-2010, 07:27 PM
typical I change the SSID to a offensive word.
then i set-up WAP2 with a stong password.
then i change the admin password.

then i go for a drink :-)

nedkelly
09-02-2010, 08:49 PM
yeah but I am not that kind of person.

Renmoo
10-02-2010, 03:10 AM
yeah but I am not that kind of person.
Change SSID to:

Cometo<address>ifyoucantfindyourrouter

(Seriously)

Chilling_Silence
10-02-2010, 06:33 AM
It's incredibly easy to log in to their router, find their username (And / or password), and lodge a support request with their ISP on their behalf for help with securing the network. They'll get a nice call from their ISP shortly after.

I like Jamuz idea :D

nedkelly
10-02-2010, 08:00 AM
yeah I thought of that Chilling so found IP and on my network used Whois and discovered that Ihug (Vodafone) ownes the ip so I sent them an email

sroby
10-02-2010, 09:23 AM

One network I found once (when I wasn't feeling malicious) I set their printer to print 100 copies of 'How to secure your wireless network' for the model of the router they were using ;)

be careful, not that long ago a helpful neighbor was prosecuted for doing exactly that, it was classed as 'hacking'

sarel
10-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Lakewoodlady - had a nice time in our beautiful town? Best place to be in NZ imho.

sarel

nedkelly
10-02-2010, 10:10 AM
yeah that thought crossed my mind as well. So thought I had better be careful when trying to help them.

lakewoodlady
10-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Lakewoodlady - had a nice time in our beautiful town? Best place to be in NZ imho.

sarel

Yes, NP is a nice place. It is also my hometown, might move back there one day.

LL :D

Speedy Gonzales
10-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Netstumbler may tell you?? Altho, by the looks of it, this hasn't been updated since 2004. And wont work properly with Vista / Win 7 / x64. But this may work (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider). Its also free. And does exactly what Netstumbler did. But its more up to date

Anti_trust
10-02-2010, 11:36 AM
I also may have accidentally set a 80gb hard drive full of pr0n to format itself... but that might have been a dream ;)

I wondered what happened to that :cool:

WarNox
10-02-2010, 12:48 PM
A little while ago I stayed at my mates flat and found a school that had an unsecured network, although it wasn't giving out IPs. I set my laptop with a static IP (192.168.1.xxx, 99% of people would try this range first) and it worked :) given that I was pretty far out the connection was #$%& but i could still get on the internet and browse some shared files on a mac :)

I emailed the school the next day to tell them but never heard back, ah well. Useless IT people.

Agent_24
10-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I believe there is some way of using tools like netstumbler with GPS unit to determine locations of APs?

adslgeek
10-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Guys you are just awesome! Love your style!

nedkelly
10-02-2010, 10:42 PM
stupid intel wireless card does not work with any program of that kind. Oh well got my mac with a program like that that works great.

ubergeek85
11-02-2010, 01:43 AM
My SSID is noADSLhere :D it's true, only use it to stream files round the house, might get round to setting up shared dialup if I can figure it out. Damn XP changing settings, taking over services, kicking itself out of the network.

But yeah, if I need to jump on the net for a couple mins, and an open AP is around, I might borrow it. No hacking, no nothing. Be lucky if I used 2Mb.

Chilling_Silence
11-02-2010, 08:06 AM
You'd actually be surprised how incredibly quickly you can churn through bandwidth, even just a couple of mins doing minimal browsing / email can easily send you over 10 -> 15MB...

pkm
11-02-2010, 09:44 AM
netstumbler is too ancient, Wifi hopper I found more useful. If you have a very directional antenna then you can pinpoint things.

http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

utopian201
11-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Change SSID to:

Cometo<address>ifyoucantfindyourrouter

(Seriously)

typical I change the SSID to a offensive word.
then i set-up WAP2 with a stong password.
then i change the admin password.

then i go for a drink :-)

The moment you change anything (even putting a text file on their desktop helpfully explaining how to secure their wireless, no matter how good the intention), you have acted unlawfully.

You're pretty lucky it wasn't a honeypot network looking for 'network gurus' to leave their footprints.

Agent_24
11-02-2010, 10:50 AM
netstumbler is too ancient, Wifi hopper I found more useful. If you have a very directional antenna then you can pinpoint things.

http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

But you have to pay for it :(