PDA

View Full Version : Dead desktop - as in very dead

Morgenmuffel
08-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Following on from my dead laptop post (wifes laptop), I just plugged the wifes desktop in, and the fuse in the hallway went pop, i reset the fuse but the wifes desktop is dead as in nothing happens no lights (including the network one), and yes i have tried different powerpoints etc my comp works fine plugged in to the same socket. there is a faint smell in the power supply area but it is more metallic than burnt electrical.

any ideas as it is an old computer, so not worth fixing, and if there is anyone in the tirau, putaruru, tokoroa area who could test the power supply that would be handy.

Thanks

Agent_24
08-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Probably shorted primary side component(s) in the PSU, though the PSU should have had its own fuse.

The fact you don't even get standby lights on the PC is a good test in itself (that the PSU is probably dead)

Most likely you can just replace the PSU and carry on...if you're lucky and nothing else has gone. Wouldn't bother trying to fix the PSU unless it's a good brand

fred_fish
08-02-2010, 03:51 PM
...and maybe book the wife into a local spiritualist to have her karma repaired. :)

sroby
08-02-2010, 03:58 PM
"so not worth fixing"
"test the power supply"
??????

It will probably be the power supply.Sometimes will spike other PC components as it fails.
I wouldnt test a power supply that went pop. You just replace it.
even A blown PSU fuse usually indicates a major PSU component failure.
Burning smell of any flavour is allways bad. :groan:

pctek
08-02-2010, 04:01 PM
faint smell in the power supply area but it is more metallic than burnt electrical.

any ideas as it is an old computer, so not worth fixing

Don't bother testing the PSU - it's dead.
Metallic smell - dead.

You can replace the PSU easy enough, but whether the death of it took out any other components with it is something you won't know until you do replace it.

Chances are it's only the PSU.........

Agent_24
08-02-2010, 05:41 PM
The fact that it blew the mains fuse means whatever was wrong is probably only in the high voltage section, so the motherboard etc is probably fine.

Morgenmuffel
08-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Ok what i meant by not worth fixing is, that is fairly old and i would rather not spend loads on it, just want to get the wifes stuff off, mainly the passwords for various sites as she can't remember half of them

The power supply is a CWT-300ATX12, which I guess means it's 300 watts and atx, are they fairly common as I wasthinking of looking on trademe for a second hand one

Agent_24
08-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Yeah, should be fine, just don't get a Hyena or anything like that.

Or if you just want to get it temporarily running, you could use the PSU from another PC (if you have one)

Morgenmuffel
16-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Is there anyway to tell what kind of m/b connector it uses?, as from looking all connectors look the same to me

wainuitech
16-02-2010, 01:35 PM
if you only want to get data off, remove the drive and slave it to a working PC, then copy data to that = Cost $0 only a bit of time

Agent_24
16-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Is there anyway to tell what kind of m/b connector it uses?, as from looking all connectors look the same to me

If it adheres to an industry standard, then it's easy, as normally it will be either AT (Very old) or ATX (New).

AT uses two plugs which go together. Black (ground) must always meet in the middle!

ATX uses one plug, however there are two versions. ATX v1.x which has 20 pins and ATX v2.x which has 24.

Most 24-Pin PSUs support removal of the extra 4 pins as a separate group so these new PSUs can still be used on older boards. However some of the newer ones at 24-pin only.

20-Pin PSUs can also be used on some 24-Pin motherboards, if the motherboard supports this.

Most new ATX boards will also use a 4 or 8 Pin 12v Auxiliary CPU power connector.

Some older\special (eg: Dual CPU) ATX boards have a 6-Pin Auxiliary connector which looks like one half of an AT connector.

The wiring colours shown in the photos\diagram are standard. However some PSUs use different colours while retaining the same electrical pinout.

Some PSUs use the exact same connector (Dell, HP etc) but use a different pinout (usually with different colours) In this case, connecting these proprietary PSUs to a standard board (or vice versa) may cause damage.

Some PSUs like HP, IBM, Dell etc have extra proprietary connectors for items not normally in PCs, such as powered speakers, sound cards with amplifiers built in, and special fan controllers.

Morgenmuffel
16-02-2010, 05:23 PM
if you only want to get data off, remove the drive and slave it to a working PC, then copy data to that = Cost $0 only a bit of time

Intending to do that, however we would like to get passwords etc out of firefox, which i think can only be done when the machine is running, the machine has a swollen cap with seepage on it, so i think it's on its way out, if wifey figures out all her passwords shouldn't need to repair it, and can get a new one

ATX uses one plug, however there are two versions. ATX v1.x which has 20 pins and ATX v2.x which has 24.

Most 24-Pin PSUs support removal of the extra 4 pins as a separate group so these new PSUs can still be used on older boards. However some of the newer ones at 24-pin only.

20-Pin PSUs can also be used on some 24-Pin motherboards, if the motherboard supports this.

Most new ATX boards will also use a 4 or 8 Pin 12v Auxiliary CPU power connector.

the old PSU says ATX on it, And there are 20 pins on the motherboard connector so its definitely the older type of ATX

depressing part is I ditched a huge pile of old comps before we shifted about 6 weeks ago

fred_fish
16-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Intending to do that, however we would like to get passwords etc out of firefox, which i think can only be done when the machine is running,
Just copy the 'Profile' from
C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles and use it on the new comp. :)

depressing part is I ditched a huge pile of old comps before we shifted about 6 weeks ago
Murphy strikes again. Always happens to me too.