PDA

View Full Version : xp to Win7 'upgrade' ; is data deleted ??

sroby
08-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi there
In theory..
If someone uses a Win7 upgrade Disk on XP, without backup first..
what are the scenarios for possible mess to fix up
I know all programs, printers & some drivers will need re-install & it isnt a true upgrade (its a new install)

- will data be deleted, or just moved, or left in original directory
- does the 'upgrade' always format the HD, or is this an option

wainuitech
08-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Personally I wouldn't do an upgrade, do a fresh install.

Save all your data that you don't want to lose to an external source.

Doing an upgrade often causes more trouble than its worth, takes longer & sometimes you end up doing a fresh install anyway. I have seen upgrades take several hours then fail at the end, OR you sometimes end up with a system thats not running as it should.

The Original OS (XP) has to be in good condition, other wise there can be troubles, bit like building a flash house on shaky foundations.

Trev
08-02-2010, 12:47 PM
I have just upgraded from XP to Win 7 doing it the upgrade way. Go to MS and read the article on Upgrading from XP to Win 7. You can download a program from MS called Windows Easy Transfer which transfers certain files to another HD or partition. No data is not deleted, in the upgrade proccess a folder called Windows.old is created with all your XP stuff in it, but as I said go to MS for further info.
:)

sroby
08-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the replies..

but the 'upgrade' was allready done (not by me) & it left a bit of mess.
Havnt seen the PC yet, just want a heads up on what to expect.
It seems the upgrade will copy some data to window.old, IF the person choose that option.

pctek
08-02-2010, 03:04 PM
It's a risk. You might be lucky but then again it could all end in tears.

I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Trev
08-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Yes all your data is in the Windows.Old folder, just go into that and copy what you want and then delete Windows.Old with disk cleanup if you want to. Did they use WIndows Easy Transfer ?
:)