PDA

View Full Version : Computer keeps disconnecting from wireless router...

BasketballOSU
08-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Last night, my internet was fine and was having no trouble at all.

Today, it keeps disconnecting from my wireless router every 5 minutes or so.

My preferred network is at the top of the preferred networks list, and every time it disconnects, I go to that one on the networks list and it simply says "automatic," but it doesn't even attempt to reconnect or anything.

I go to the network connections view and "repair" the wireless connection to get it going again, but then it only lasts another five minutes or so before automatically disconnecting again.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Update the firmware? How far are you from the router, if youre using wireless? Is it encrypted? What version of windows is installed? If XP, what service pack is installed?

BasketballOSU
08-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Windows XP SP 3
I'm about 10 feet away from the router so I know that can't be it.
Encryption on the properties tab reads "disabled" on the drop-down menu...

sroby
08-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Windows XP SP 3
I'm about 10 feet away from the router so I know that can't be it.

yes it can be, quite easily. Ive seen wifi fail on PC's in the same room as router, yet work perfectly on the PC all the way down the other end of the blding.
Some rare sites just are hard to make wifi reliable

But sounds a bit like flaky hardware it it suddenly started dropping out.

general wifi tips, may/may not help:
Are you using a cordless ph? TV sender unit,garage door opener nearby? microwave in same room?

disable power saving on the wifi device in 'device manager' (this often fixes it)
disable power saving, standy, hybernation - untill you find the cause then re-enable.
change the wifi channel
move the wifi router(may only need to move 3 feet to fix signal), check the aerial orientation, fiddle with aerial orientation, put wifi router at same height as laptop/pc aerial