PDA

View Full Version : How to monitor whether internet is on or off

hotkiwi
08-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Hi friends,
Our telephone and internet connection drops off completely every few minutes (the internet being even far more frequent off than the phone). telecom was there a couple of times but could not repair it, saying the problem sits probably somewhere along old poles. I have tools that nicely show the activity of the network that is obviously working fine, but is there a little tool that tells me whether the ADSL connection is up or down, preferrably logging it graphically ? I would like to show them how few minutes per day I have actually a working ADSL connection.
Cheers
Johan

CYaBro
08-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Surely if they know where the problem is they have to fix it??

mzee
08-02-2010, 10:01 AM
I had endless problems with Telecom, they kept on coming out and checking the same things, even installed a new line from the road. I changed to Vodafone 18 months ago & never had any trouble since. When I asked them what they had done they said there was a bad connection in the exchange.

Don't ask me what their Help desk is like, I have never used it!

robsonde
08-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Hi friends,
Our telephone and internet connection drops off completely every few minutes (the internet being even far more frequent off than the phone). telecom was there a couple of times but could not repair it, saying the problem sits probably somewhere along old poles. I have tools that nicely show the activity of the network that is obviously working fine, but is there a little tool that tells me whether the ADSL connection is up or down, preferrably logging it graphically ? I would like to show them how few minutes per day I have actually a working ADSL connection.
Cheers
Johan

telecom own all the line from your house to the exchange.
this includes "the old poles".
it sucks to be them, but that is not your fault and should not be your problem.

you pay for service and you should get service.

if they have to replace 2KM of copper and old poles then that not your problem.

ring telecom and ask for a manager/supervisor.

hotkiwi
08-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Actually telecom is fascinating. The connection drops off every few minutes for another few minutes, and then randomly is opn again. Same for the phone. Twice after they said they 'repaired' it, the only consequence was that the phone and internet connection were completely dead. On comes another guy who fixes it then proudly back to the old interruptive situatiopn i called for in the first place......

But is there a little program, preferrably Mac that will log internet on or off ?

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Be a bit hard logging on and off. If its ADSL.

Sweep
08-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Be a bit hard logging on and off. If its ADSL.

I think it refers to logging times connection on/off in this case.
As in a text file maybe.

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Dont most routers have a log option in them?? Use that. Well this has and you can save the log as a txt file

pctek
08-02-2010, 11:35 AM
telecom was there a couple of times but could not repair it, saying the problem sits probably somewhere along old poles.
The router itself will have this info.

Telecom have to fix anything that is outside your gate.
Inside, that's your problem, but old poles or not, tough luck, it's their problem.

If they are refusing make a complaint.

Ofthesea
08-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Tell them you have trouble calling your doctor and the ambulance rather than not able to browse the internet, sad but it might get more response

hotkiwi
08-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Haha, i am actually a doctor

But how can I read out that log in my modem.
I use no router now but am hooked up by cable to Dynalink ADSL modem