PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop this silly message....

straka01
07-02-2010, 08:55 PM
How do I stop these silly balloons that keep popping up saying "Your computer may be at risk!!!" etc, etc

I don't use the XP firewall.
I don't allow automatic updates.
I have a better firewall & I do regular 'custom' updates.

How on earth can I stop these stupid pop-up balloons?
Any ideas welcome.........
Cheers

snoopy
07-02-2010, 09:02 PM
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Your+computer+may+be+at+risk&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

straka01
07-02-2010, 09:18 PM
That's terrific - well done.
I just didn't know which 'rock' to look under.
Many thanks

Speedy Gonzales
07-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Sounds like you've installed rogue / fake security software

straka01
07-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I use Zone Alarm & AVG 9...

Speedy Gonzales
07-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Post a hijackthis log. Its either a rogue program, or its because you have no updates installed

Renmoo
08-02-2010, 01:22 AM
I use Zone Alarm & AVG 9...
AVG antivirus will not provide the optimum protection that your computer needs. The PressF1 community, as a whole, recommends Microsoft Security Essential as an alternative to all other free antivirus software available.

Check out http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/ for the download link.

Agent_24
08-02-2010, 07:05 AM
AVG antivirus will not provide the optimum protection that your computer needs. The PressF1 community, as a whole, recommends Microsoft Security Essential as an alternative to all other free antivirus software available.

Check out http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/ for the download link.

What? I recommend Comodo. But MSE is probably still better than AVG anyway...

Zippity
08-02-2010, 08:42 AM
You have Zone Alarm huh?

There's your problem :(

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Well post a log. So, we can see whats in it

jinja_thom
08-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Is'nt this the windows security alert complaining about your windows firewall, auto update and antivirus choices? You can turn them off in control panel/security centre.

Digby
08-02-2010, 09:53 AM
The PressF1 community, as a whole, recommends Microsoft Security Essential as an alternative to all other free antivirus software available.

I can't believe the Press F1 Community !

How they can recommend a Microsoft utility just amazes me.
After years and years of putting out bloated crap, and selling the software with the holes in them - why would you want to use their software ?

CYaBro
08-02-2010, 09:59 AM
I can't believe the Press F1 Community !

How they can recommend a Microsoft utility just amazes me.
After years and years of putting out bloated crap, and selling the software with the holes in them - why would you want to use their software ?

We do because after some testing by a few of the users on here they have found that it picks up viruses/malware that the other free ones didn't.

All software will have holes in it, it's just that Microsoft have the biggest user base that their products are the ones that get found out :D

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2010, 10:08 AM
If you want to use something else go ahead. But from what I've read AVG has got to be one of the worst programs out there. Along with Mcafee, and Symantec. All theyre doing is putting a pretty window on the screen (and nothing else). And Avast 5, according to their forums, is just as bad / buggy. People have gone back to 4.8.

And yup people DON'T just go by who MAKES the program. They also go by what it can and cant do (testing what it can remove, compared to other programs)

John H
08-02-2010, 10:43 AM
I followed up the lead suggested by Snoopy, and turned off the alerts in the Security Centre control panel because those popups annoy me too.

Coincidentally, I ran a Malwarebytes scan. It came up with a threat - that I had Disabled Security Centre!!! It gave me a bit of a turn until I realised what it referred to...

Ah well, it shows that Malwarebytes is onto it!

pctek
08-02-2010, 11:36 AM
"Your computer may be at risk!!!"

How on earth can I stop these stupid pop-up balloons?

XP: Start, Control Panel, Security Center.

Bottom left side. "Change the way Security Center alerts me".

Similar with Vista/Win7.