PDA

View Full Version : Apple Newby

Davemas
07-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Hi,
I Looking for some advice. I am 95% convinced that I will buy the Apple iMac 21.5". (3.06GHz/2X2GB/500GB), but want to get some advice to balance the sales pitch.

We will be running this as a home computer with a small design (landscape) business so mainly internet, word processing, spreadsheeting and design - no gaming etc but plan to use this as my media hub (music only at this point but.....). The design software we use is not resource hungry and is designed for pc with no mac version available. We dont want to learn a new system so intend having xp insatalled also. I am told the best way of doing this is soming called parallel?

My reasons for switching are: macs seem to have less hassle with security, greater reliability, looks better, last longer, seem faster than equivalent pc options, have cool media options etc...... so first question, are these reasons valid

my other questions are:
Will (and if so how much) will running duel operating systems impact on the performance?
I like Macs, they look stylie, and just seem to be less prone to bugs...but will I be no better off if I run windows on the same machine (ie malware, viruses etc)
I can buy an equivalent pc for quite a bit less, what is the benefit of the mac (aside from just being heaps cooler)
If we go to the parallel way of running windows, how simple is it to flick between the two vs other methods (bootcamp). My wife will be the predominant user, and HATES computers, so I am looking for something that really is easy and intuitive!

Thats all, any advice etc would be greatly appreciated.
Dave

notechyet
07-02-2010, 08:19 PM
My wife will be the predominant user, and HATES computers, so I am looking for something that really is easy and intuitive!
Dave
I do have some experience in the setup you mentioned.
If your wife does not like computers and solving problems(with them), I would suggest the best way to go is to stay with MS systems(as you mentioned that you need it anyway).
Any system does need to be looked after and so I would just look after one properly.
For the money you buy the mentioned(harware and OS) you can get a very good windows based machine(as others here can help you with). Then spend some money for security( if you want), though there are good free options also.
Having an MS system on a OS X(Parallels or VM Fusion) does not mean it is any safer as on its own!:2cents:

plod
07-02-2010, 09:24 PM
integration with parallel or Vmwares fusion is very good, you can run xp full screen or integrated then the windows apps appear in the dock along side osx apps. Sun micro systems do a free virtual machine app. We currently run Vmware at work on a mac pro, no problems. Xp runs better in fusion then it did on the old machine it replaced.

bk T
07-02-2010, 09:24 PM
For the money you buy the mentioned(harware and OS) you can get a very good windows based machine(as others here can help you with). Then spend some money for security( if you want), though there are good free options also.

+1

gary67
08-02-2010, 06:47 AM
Don't expect to be able to upgrade a MAC easily you can't just add stuff in like new hardware and MACS do get viruses as well despite all the hype saying they don't. I think you need to write a real list of the pro's and cons of both as you see them then ask again. You will have to buy a copy of XP for the MAC if you don't have an unused copy adding more cost

pkm
08-02-2010, 09:44 AM
If you enjoy the simplicity of being in prison, then yes apple would be good for you.

There must be a performance hit operating a virtual machine. Yes the windows VM can get bugs just as a non virtual one can.

Note that you talk about malware,viruses I doubt that if youl get any if you stick to serious work issues on it.

In my experience it is kids getting music, flash games, warez and dodgy sites which are the most dangerous. Machines dont infect themselves.

wratterus
08-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Few links that might be useful.

Installing Snow Leopard and networking
http://www.apple.com/support/snowleopard/#installation

iLife tutorials
http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/#garageband

iWork tutorials
http://www.apple.com/iwork/tutorials/#pages

Some free stuff for your Mac
http://mac.softpedia.com/
http://www.opensourcemac.org/
http://www.macupdate.com/

pctek
08-02-2010, 11:38 AM
The design software we use is not resource hungry and is designed for pc with no mac version available. We dont want to learn a new system so intend having xp insatalled also.

macs seem to have less hassle with security, greater reliability, looks better, last longer, seem faster than equivalent pc options, have cool media options etc.

In which case I wouldn't bother with a Mac, I'd buy a PC.

PCs are not a "hassle" as far as malware goes. Take simple precautions and you'll never have a problem. I don't.

They do not have greater reliabilty.

Don't compare Apples with Oranges.
What makes a PC (whatever "brand") is the quality of components in it.
Stick with reliable quality parts INSIDE the PC and you'll be fine.
Do NOT buy an off the shelf shitbox from a toaster shop.

Looks are primarily determined by the case - get a nice case and it looks pretty.

Fast is also relative, get decent specs, and you'll find that costs less in a PC too.

Metla
08-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Your number one requirement is Windows so your looking at a Mac?

Muhahahahaha

Ten points to Apple marketing.

Anyway, Buy whatever takes your fancy, its your money, Personally I'd recommend a quality PC.

notechyet
10-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Thats all, any advice etc would be greatly appreciated.
Dave
Just wonder what decision you made?:)

maccrazy
10-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Don't expect to be able to upgrade a MAC easily you can't just add stuff in like new hardware

Valid point, but 99% of people don't need to upgrade anything other than RAM (which is user replaceable on an iMac).

MACS do get viruses as well despite all the hype saying they don't.

Could you name one that actually does something I should be concerned about? The reality is that Mac OS X is a much more secure system. That isn't to say it is perfect, because nothing is ever completely secure, but Mac OS X is much more secure that Windows. btw. Mac is short for Macintosh, it doesn't stand for anything - therefore MAC should be Mac. ;)

Just some things to think about:

Would the 27-inch model be better for design work?
Remember to factor in the cost of Windows and Parallels/VMWare if you want to run both systems simultaneously. If the reseller can do an OEM version, then that will be cheaper.

Other than that, go for it Davemas. You can't really go wrong with the current iMac lineup. :)

notechyet
10-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Other than that, go for it Davemas. You can't really go wrong with the current iMac lineup. :)
Do you recall he said that his wife did not like to fiddle with computers and that he needs windows?:eek:

plod
10-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Do you recall he said that his wife did not like to fiddle with computers and that he needs windows?:eek:
well if his wife doesn't want to fiddle with computers(anti spyware, AV and the likes) then I would say the mac is definitely the right choice

Agent_24
11-02-2010, 12:00 AM
If you need to run Windows anyway, getting a Mac is spending a lot of money you don't need to.

Buy a good quality PC with Windows, get a decent Antivirus, you'll be fine and save a lot of money. Not to mention performance will be better than any virtual environment.

Besides, even if Windows was running in Parallels, it would still need Antivirus. Running on a Mac doesn't make it immune.

Could you name one that actually does something I should be concerned about? The reality is that Mac OS X is a much more secure system. That isn't to say it is perfect, because nothing is ever completely secure, but Mac OS X is much more secure that Windows

http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses/viruses-and-spyware/osxrsplugf.html

I know I would be worried about that one. Could potentially be used to perform a man-in-the-middle attack, and someone ends up stealing your identity\money\passwords etc.

Probably one of the worst things that could happen as result of a virus, in my opinion.

So yes, that is a virus I would be concerned about.

Windows might be infectable by several million or so viruses, but all you need is one to steal highly confidential information, and it doesn't matter which brand of computer you think is better, you're still screwed.

A potentially lower chance of it happening doesn't make it any less of a threat when you consider the consquences.

Sweep
11-02-2010, 12:16 AM
And as the app software is not designed to run on a Mac it may be better to run it on a PC. There is no Mac version available.

Agent_24
11-02-2010, 02:25 AM
That's not to say of course that you shouldn't use a Mac because they can get viruses too, I'm just saying that the line "Macs don't get viruses" is untrue and if I had one I'd have Antivirus software on it anyway.

Plus, it doesn't just help you, it helps everyone. Your Mac may not get infected with Conficker etc but if you have an Antivirus which detected it on a USB drive and prevented it from spreading to a friend with Windows for example, that is a good thing.

Personally I like OSX. I just don't like the overpriced hardware that Apple expects you to run it on.

It was shown on the Hackintosh forums that building a machine with the same specifications as a Mac resulted in a computer which was much cheaper, and yet outperformed the real Mac in benchmarking.

A hacked OSX and a custom hardware setup is what I'd use is all I'm saying.

notechyet
11-02-2010, 06:21 AM
.......The design software we use is not resource hungry and is designed for pc with no mac version available. We dont want to learn a new system so intend having xp insatalled also.
I can buy an equivalent pc for quite a bit less, what is the benefit of the mac (aside from just being heaps cooler)
My wife will be the predominant user, and HATES computers, so I am looking for something that really is easy and intuitive!
Dave
If I look at the above requirements, I'm not sure if it is wise to go the OS X and VM way. The setup with VM's does require more attention. If you like to see more discussion re the Mac Vm options look at the Parallels (http://forum.parallels.com/) or VMWare Fusion (http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/desktop/fusion) forums.
Being heaps cooler may not help your wife much.:2cents: