PDA

View Full Version : My New PC

Grimy
07-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Now I've never been one to hurry anything and since asking about cases, graphics cards and CPU/MB/RAM late last year I have been slowly gathering bits and pieces. Many thanks to everyone that gave their opinion and advice-some of which I took on board, and some I just totally ignored (but I am still grateful for it-I think with PCs, there is never a totally right-or wrong answer).
So the final specs are;

Case - Lian Li A05N
MB - Asus P7P55D-E Pro
CPU - Intel I5 2.66
RAM - Kingston Hyper-X 2x2GB DDR3 1600
DVD Burner - HP DVD 1070i w/Light Scribe
HD - WD Caviar Green-1TB
PSU - Corsair HX520
Graphics Card - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4670 1GB DDR3
Monitor - Samsung P2350
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Bought the bits from a variety of sources-Tas Tech, Computer Lounge, XP Computer Warehouse, Ascent Technology, Tiger Direct. All gave good service, and I didn't always go for the cheapest price.
Yesterday sat down and put it together. The first PC I've built. I guess buying good components helped, because it went together so well, and W7 just loaded up and did everything within a matter of minutes. I was very impressed.
The only thing that's not working is the HD activity light-will have to swap it with the power led next time I have it open to see if it's the led, or something else, not that it worries me too much. It's pretty easy to tell if your HD's not working!
Now just a matter of deciding what I want to drag off the old PC, before cleaning that one up and giving it to my sister.
Thanks for everyone's input. No doubt I'll be asking lots of W7 questions shortly.....

Speedy Gonzales
07-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Depends what programs youre planning on copying to this. Because most of them probably wont work, without a reinstall

Grimy
07-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Programs I'll be reinstalling. Have to decide on what I want to clean out of My Documents. I have everything backed up to an external HD, but still being careful.

feersumendjinn
08-02-2010, 12:16 AM
The only thing that's not working is the HD activity light
Try just turning the HDD activity LED plug on the motherboard around 180 degrees (because it's a light-emitting DIODE, it wont light up if it's wired backwards) :D

gary67
08-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Yep LED's are polarity sensitive they have to be wired the right way round to work

Grimy
08-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks, will try that. It was labelled and I double checked I put it in the right way (by the label). But I guess it doesn't mean the wires were put in the connector block the wrong way.

legod
09-02-2010, 02:27 PM
So how much was the pc altogether? Is it quiet while running?

Renmoo
09-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks, will try that. It was labelled and I double checked I put it in the right way (by the label). But I guess it doesn't mean the wires were put in the connector block the wrong way.
Back in the old days when I learned about electronics, you can actually figure out the polarity by looking at the "flag" within the LED light.

Edit: The "flag" indicates negative

http://www.makingthings.com/documentation/how-to/connect-an-led-to-a-digital-output

wratterus
09-02-2010, 03:56 PM
IMO really good build apart from the WD Green HDD, it's sensible to have a full speed drive for the OS, but it's not a major. It should last you quite a while! :thumbs:

PENTIUM
09-02-2010, 04:48 PM
I am always receptive to better informed advice.
The HDD was my suggestion. WD Green [7200RPM] also features more cache than the Blue he was looking at but is still well priced. What does wratterus suggest, and how would it be better?

Grimy
09-02-2010, 08:24 PM
So how much was the pc altogether? Is it quiet while running?

Without keyboard, mouse or speakers (all being used from my old set up) $2,056. Nice and quiet and vibrationless (almost). Really happy with it.

Grimy
09-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Back in the old days when I learned about electronics, you can actually figure out the polarity by looking at the "flag" within the LED light.

Edit: The "flag" indicates negative

Always keen to learn more. Will have to check out some stop lights on modern cars/bikes!

Grimy
09-02-2010, 08:37 PM
IMO really good build apart from the WD Green HDD, it's sensible to have a full speed drive for the OS, but it's not a major. It should last you quite a while! :thumbs:

I was so looking at a SSD for the OS, but was doing my best to keep it under $2,000-I have a wife to answer to.................

I also went with the Green (along with the I5 instead of AMD) in an effort to lower power consumption and heat output. Please don't quote figures and tell me I'm an idiot (I have a wife to do that too....), I know there is negligible difference in power consumption, but every test I saw said the I5 was appreciably cooler than a 955 or 965 AMD.
My aim was a quiet, cool-running PC that looked good (and understated) and would have a bit of future-proofing-hence going with a dearer MB than I'd bargained for), along with reasonably good performance. Plus the ability to upgrade to an I7 CPU in the future when the current ones are cheaper.

Grimy
14-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Try just turning the HDD activity LED plug on the motherboard around 180 degrees (because it's a light-emitting DIODE, it wont light up if it's wired backwards) :D

Spot on guys. Turned the connector around and away she goes. Wires obviously stuck in the socket the wrong way around.
Thanks for the help.
By the way, loving the new PC and Windows 7.