PDA

View Full Version : A question about Malwarebytes Antimalware - especially if you're in NZ

catspyjamas
07-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Hello :) This is my first post here; though I've been reading the forum for a while now. There is a rather long back story as to why I am asking this, but I would be very grateful if you could confirm some suspicions I have before I submit a support ticket to Malwarebytes and/or Telecom NZ, as according to my homework so far I believe this is a NZ issue.

Can you please tell me:

1. If you have Malwarebytes Antimalware software installed, are you able to successfully update it using the UI? If not, which error code are you getting?

2. Do you see four numbers when you click on the following link, or does the page refuse to load? (This link is just the MBAM definitions file database): http://mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org/database/mbam.check.database

3. Are you in NZ, and if so, who is your ISP?

If my suspicions are correct you will have no problems if you are not in NZ, or if you are with ihug.... but if you are with Telecom or Slingshot ( and possibly other NZ ISPs that I know are having problems with a couple of other websites since exactly the same time as this MBAM issue began some 40-48hrs ago ) then you will get "error 732" when you try and update MBAM, and you will not see 4 numbers when you load the above page - the page will fail to load.

Thanks heaps. :)

CYaBro
07-02-2010, 05:09 PM
1. Malwarebytes updates fine here.
2. I see a four digit number.
3. I am with Xnet in NZ.

I have had problems with Malwarebytes not updating (And getting the same error 732) but it has always been some malware/trojan that was stopping it from working.
They usually block all access to any malwarebytes.org sites not just the one you linked to.

Once the machine was cleaned Malwarebytes starts working again.

Speedy Gonzales
07-02-2010, 05:30 PM
1. Are you using a firewall, besides windows?

2. Are you using a proxy??

3. A browser hijacker can also cause this, according to the MBAM forum.

jebby
07-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Hi, I updated on the 4th. Feb. ok but just tried again & the page wont load, not getting any error code, don't see 4 numbers, in NZ, ISP Xtra.

Chris09
07-02-2010, 07:11 PM
1. Cannot update Malwarebytes by U.I Error 732
2. Page cannot load at all
3. I'm with Xtra, in New Zealand

Very interesting...

Roger Hunt
07-02-2010, 07:28 PM
error 732 was fixed for me by clearing my browser cashe.

catspyjamas
07-02-2010, 10:54 PM
@cyabro

Thanks. It's quite common for malware to block security programmes from updating yes, however don't think this a malware issue in my case. This started happening on the same day for all of the people I know with this issue, and we are all with Telecom (except for one who is with Slingshot). I know of one person not having any problems with updating MBAM and they are with ihug. One of my friends with Telecom and can't update, took their laptop around to this person's house with ihug and was able to update MBAM with no problems, as well as view the above website and a couple of other non-MBAM websites we all seem to be having trouble with too. Now they are back home and connecting via Telecom they are having the issue again. I think if this was malware then they would not have been able to do that. Incidentally I am having no problems browsing on the MBAM homepage (malwarebytes.org) or their forums.

@Speedy Gonzales

Thanks for replying. I take it you've been able to update OK? Which ISP are you with? To answer your questions:

1. I use Vista firewall and have all the recommended exceptions for MBAM added. I also have MBAM fully excluded in my AV as recommended by MBAM.
2. No. I have checked the FAQs on the MBAM forum my IE8 is online with the correct setting re proxies and detecting LAN etc as per MBAM recommendations.
3 Yes I know. I wouldn't want to swear it on anyone's life, but I really don't think that is what is happening here. See my reply to cyabro above, and jebby and Chris09 below to explain why. I also see a couple of people with Telecom have replied and are also having this issue. My AV is updating just fine and scans are 100% clean, as are MBAM scans. I am also getting all Windows updates OK.

@ jebby and Chris09

Thanks. Me too. :( The problem began for all the people I know who have this issue sometime on 5th Feb. At the same time I began having problems getting pages to load properly with another website I go to, and there are about twenty support tickets about this page loading problem on this website's support board, and all twenty people are in NZ (mainly with Telecom, but also Slingshot and Orcon). The support staff for that website think the page loading problem may be a problem with their Content Delivery Network getting caught in a local ISP's filter. They think an ISP is having trouble with an IP resolving to one of their CDN's datacenters' traffic. Because MBAM began having problems at exactly the same, I decided to do some digging around to see if this update issue is a NZ problem only too - so far this is looking likely, and Telecom are a common denominator with both. This post is just to gather a little more information before I contact MBAM and/or Telecom.

@Roger Hunt

Thanks Roger. Fully clearing cookies and my cache, browsing hx, temp internet files, rebooting, disconnecting the modem for a few minutes to force another IP address etc has not resolved this for me. I'm not sure if you meant it cleared it for you in the past, or tonight. If you mean tonight, would you mind telling me who your ISP is? The issue persists for me.

Speedy Gonzales
07-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Mbam is installed on Vista and XP. Both were updated today and were fine

ISP is Xnet

CYaBro
07-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Sounds like it could be a Telecom issue then.
I've got a laptop in the workshop at the moment with a telecom t stick so I'll try with that and see what happens.

Speedy Gonzales
07-02-2010, 11:36 PM
This person had the same prob (http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=39141&pid=195608&st=0&#entry195608). She maybe with telecom as well

KarameaDave
07-02-2010, 11:37 PM
No problem Telstraclear cable in ChCh

WarNox
07-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Yep, can't update here or get to the website, very interesting as it worked fine in the past. What do you think is causing/blocking it?

On an Orcon connection.

John H
08-02-2010, 07:45 AM
No problems here - I am with Paradise (in NZ).

inphinity
08-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Fine for me, with Xtra. Have been having issues with store.steampowered.com lately though. Maybe some router(s) somewhere are having issues?

Lawrence
08-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Got the same problem (Error 732) ,even uninstalled with revo to rid it of everything (logs) downloaded again and still the same problem,with Slingshot

smithie 38
08-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Updated this morning and everything fine.

ISP Clear.net

fnphoto
08-02-2010, 09:16 AM
With Xtra here - Got the same problem (Error 732). I'll just try later, not a biggie!

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Just updated again in XP its fine. I take it everyone is using 1.44??

wainuitech
08-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Just ran an update - 9.41am -- No problems what so ever - in fact it was damn fast. Telstra Cable.

Nyuuji
08-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I had same problem on my fathers pc, and he is with Xtra, (error 732).
Thoroughly checked machine for malware, and also reinstalled the program but had no luck updating it.

CYaBro
08-02-2010, 09:51 AM
It looks like Xtra are having some international problems:
http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=107175

pctek
08-02-2010, 11:45 AM
1. If you have Malwarebytes Antimalware software installed, are you able to successfully update it using the UI?

2. Do you see four numbers when you click on the following link, or does the page refuse to load?

3. Are you in NZ, and if so, who is your ISP?

Yes.

Yes.

Yes, Ihug.

However, I have several customers with SLingshot, they aren't having any problems, I have several with Xtra too, ditto, no issues.

wratterus
08-02-2010, 12:02 PM
It won't update here on Orcon, but works fine on Tasman Solutions.

Terry Porritt
08-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Odd, it updates ok with Orcon here, and it did yesterday.

Edit: what is an absolute pain in the bum though, is how slow PF1 can be in posting, changing /refreshing pages etc. It needs pensioning off...............

Sweep
08-02-2010, 12:19 PM
With Xtra and I get error 732

Roger Hunt
08-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Updated fine again today I use Vodafone 3G vodem stick today yesterday I used a Merlin xu870 Express card no problems then either.
Have had this error code before and as it is one of the only programs I have that use Internet Explorer (I don't) cleared the IE Cashe and error was gone. Worked for me twice not had a problem since.

Agent_24
08-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Can't say, don't have the program. But I'm on Telecom so it would probably fail anyway.

leonidas5
08-02-2010, 03:42 PM
No problems..... use Xtra

catspyjamas
08-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Everyone this problem has been fixed in the last hour. I have just updated, and can now view the other website that I was having trouble with since the same time as being unable to update MBAM, and that incredimail website in the other pressF1 post. (Couldn't get that to load properly when I looked this morning either). Thanks for your replies everyone. I have advised MBAM. :)

WarNox
08-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Edit: what is an absolute pain in the bum though, is how slow PF1 can be in posting, changing /refreshing pages etc. It needs pensioning off...............

Yes I used to have this issue, Add Block Plus to the rescue :) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Adblock and flashblock dont help. PF1 is still slow

Chris09
08-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Everyone this problem has been fixed in the last hour. I have just updated, and can now view the other website that I was having trouble with since the same time as being unable to update MBAM, and that incredimail website in the other pressF1 post. (Couldn't get that to load properly when I looked this morning either). Thanks for your replies everyone. I have advised MBAM. :)

Indeed. All fixed.

I'm curious as to what the problem was, however.

Agent_24
08-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Probably just some DNS issue with Telecom

Sweep
08-02-2010, 05:54 PM
But if you are using open dns that should not apply.

Terry Porritt
08-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Yes I used to have this issue, Add Block Plus to the rescue :) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

I haven't seen an advert. in years and years :) Also killed all the doubleclick pains and google analytics in HOSTS file, so as Speedy says PF1 can still be slow, I shudder to think how slow it would be with adds...........:eek:

WarNox
08-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Mines much faster since Add Block :)

Grimy
08-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Just tried to download MBAM and can't. Tried both Download.Com and File Forums (the link has changed from the former to the latter from the MB homepage since trying yesterday with no joy).

zqwerty
08-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Try it from here:

http://majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

catspyjamas
08-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Indeed. All fixed.

I'm curious as to what the problem was, however.

Hi Chris09. I read something about what the issue actually was on the forum of another website that I was having problems with at the same time (which is also now all OK :)). The person who wrote it said it was quoted from Slingshot Support:

"It's an issue with Limelight Networks CDN in the New Zealand region. Valve/Steam use Limelight's CDN to deliver parts of Steam including the Steam Store.

Due to a routing fault with a transit provider Optus that arose nearly 4 days ago, many New Zealand ISPs now no longer have connectivity to Limelight's CDN servers and thus unable to access the Steam store. 3 of the 4 largest ISPs in NZ including Telecom NZ, Slingshot and Orcon may be affected by this.

Other high profile services also hosted by Limelight's CDN are similarly offline including PSN Home and updates, Xbox Live Marketplace downloads along with many popular computer games genre websites."

IF what this person wrote is correct, then that's the reason. I'm assuming Malwarebyte's updates & Incredimail's website content got caught up in all of this too... :(

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Info here (http://www.techday.co.nz/gameconsole/news/update-limelight-fault-affects-nz-online-gami/15289/). So, youre right. It may have been limelight

catspyjamas
09-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Yup Speedy Gonzales - that confirms pretty much what Slingshot is supposed to have said. Thanks for posting that link.

The bit I don't get though (and I have a feeling the explanation is going to go waaay over my head), is why not ALL Telecom, Orcon, and Slingshot customers were affected.

The other thing that is puzzling is that I know one X-net customer and one TelstraClear customer who both had trouble loading the affected websites too (and are both fine now...)