PDA

View Full Version : M$ doesn't want to know me - I've been cast out

WalOne
07-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Problem is my motherboard died. Tech took the C drive out of my Compaq and installed that on a spare Dell with a working motherboard. Everything works OK, and I have all my software intact. However M$ don't see my XP and Office 2003 as valid and won't validate it. As the original XP came pre-installed, and I have no proof of OE, I'm left in a bind. :( (I have Office 2003 records OK)

Can someone suggest the best way to solve this issue (without paying M$ $267 or so for a new system)?

CYaBro
07-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Do you have the old compaq computer case handy?
There should be a Microsoft Windows sticker on it with the Product key on it.
You will need to change the product key using something like Magical Jellybean.

Office 2003 should only need to be activated again. If it won't activate over the internet call the 0800 #.
After you have put in your code that it asks for you will most likely need to talk to an operator. Just tell them you have replaced the motherboard in your computer and they should give you the activation code - I do this all the time.

godfather
07-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Original XP was BIOS locked to the Compaq motherboard.
You may be out of luck, as the Office OEM has to also die with the motherboard, though they may take pity on that.

A phone call to MS stating you had a m/b failure may bring sympathy, as above.

WalOne
07-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks, CyaBro and Godfather. I guess GF you're saying then that the keys I've obtained for the M$ products via Jelly Bean won't now work because of the tie in to the old M/Board.

Guess I'll have to put all negative thoughts about MS to one side while I put myself at their mercy. (Note I said MS and not M$) :rolleyes:

Nomad
07-02-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm not sure on the legal re: big company PCs.

Big company PCs are preloaded with windows thou that you don't get a install CD just a Compaq CD/DVD which is a HDD image file.

It might be that Compaq sold it with windows on the condition that to be used with the that particular Compaq only.

Agent_24
08-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Certain tools are available to bypass activation...

Gobe1
08-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Original XP was BIOS locked to the Compaq motherboard.
You may be out of luck, as the Office OEM has to also die with the motherboard, though they may take pity on that.

A phone call to MS stating you had a m/b failure may bring sympathy, as above.

hahahahahahaaaaaaaa

wainuitech
08-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Follow what CYaBro suggested - the other option, IF the Dell case has the COA on it, ( it should) since it doesn't like the original COA then activate windows, But select by Telephone - down the bottom click on Change product key - enter in the COA on the Side of the case, should now activate, as the Hardware and COA is now married to the OS. Thats a bit like doing a full reinstall.

Question: what sort of Tech or should that be lazy ***** - only does a half arse job, any decent tech will have sorted that out before you got it back.

B.M.
08-02-2010, 10:57 AM
I had exactly the same problem (Motherboard Failure) :rolleyes:

Rang Microsoft and told them the problem only to be told TUFF.

XP and Office were locked to the original Motherboard and I would have to purchase new software.

Thatís when thing got ugly. :mad:

So, only way out was to kill WGA and turn off all Microsoft Updates.

So now I run XP Sp2 with no further updates and Office with no updates and the Update/Call Home facility disabled.

System has never run better. :)

Gobe1
08-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Never ever say motherboard failure, or downgrading vista or anything
Always just say reinstallation of windows
Its not lying

pctek
08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
However M$ don't see my XP and Office 2003 as valid and won't validate it.

Sure it will. It may fail the online activation but if you do it via phone it works.
Done it many times before..........

WalOne
08-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I had exactly the same problem (Motherboard Failure) :rolleyes:
Rang Microsoft and told them the problem only to be told TUFF.
XP and Office were locked to the original Motherboard and I would have to purchase new software.
Thatís when thing got ugly. :mad:

Deja vu? Exactly what happened to me. So I've stopped politely calling the bastards MS and gone back to calling them M$.
:angry

But thanks guys for all the proffered help :thanks