PDA

View Full Version : Is my hard drive stuffed?

tut
05-02-2010, 07:55 PM
I use a 200GB external hard drive for temporary storage of files until I can back them up to a DVD.
Today while adding a small vid I got the message,

E:\ is not accessible.

The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable.

Just though I would ask if there is a remedy before I biff the lot into the bin.

Speedy Gonzales
05-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Is E a DVD writer?? What version of windows are you using? If XP, XP, doesnt burn to DVD natively. Without an update

gary67
05-02-2010, 08:08 PM
If you mean the ext drive have you checked the cables haven't come loose?

tut
05-02-2010, 08:12 PM
The DVD writer is :\D on this Toshiba Satellite Pro but I dont use it, I take the hard drive to a friend to burn the discs. More reliable that way as I am not Comp Lit.
O/S is Vista Pro.

Speedy Gonzales
05-02-2010, 08:16 PM
So whats E then if this is a laptop?

tut
05-02-2010, 08:22 PM
When I open explorer I see DVD RW DRIVE D
When I plug the USB cable form the external hard drive into the computer it comes up with,
Local Disk (E:)
When I click on this to access the drive it comes up with the message

Speedy Gonzales
05-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Ah ok then. Is this a new external hdd?? Have you used it before on this laptop? If you havent you have to format it, before you can use it

tut
05-02-2010, 09:08 PM
The External drive is out of a computer, It is not very new.
I have used it for this purpose several times
I have tried another drive using the same cables and power transformer and that works fine.

I saw this problem once before on an external drive so I am picking there is no way to repair it.
I recovered some of the photos off this faulty one by using Diskdigger but have never had any luck with recovering vids.

If there is no way to restore it I would like to try and format it to see if it will work with a new directory.Wont trust it if it dies work though.

Guess I just got caught out again. I think I will stick with flash drives. Got 8GB one that works but is a bit small for what I need it for and i cant afford a bigger one hence the hard drive.

pkm
05-02-2010, 10:23 PM
There are various programs which detect the s.m.a.r.t status of the drive. I used one called hdd sentinel for an internal IDE drive. Can you do a chkdsk /r on it? I run it from the command line (start,run,cmd) so I can see the report etc.

pctek
06-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Guess I just got caught out again. I think I will stick with flash drives. .

Terrible idea.

One: Stick to the more trustworthy brands of hard drive. Namely Seagate and Western Digital.

Two: Don't MOVE your stuff to it, COPY it. That way you have them backed up in 2 locations, chances of both hard drives dying on you at once is fairly slim.

Three: Have you removed the drive from the enclosure and tried accessing it direct? Sometimes it's the drive, sometimes the enclosure. You might be lucky.

tut
08-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Well I decided to bite the bullet and reformate the drive and it works like new again.
Guess something can affect the directory or file.
I recovered most of the photos off it with Diskdigger but lost all the vids.
Normally I would leave the copied files on the computer but needed to remove them this time and got caught.
Thanks to all that offered advice.