PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Speed Fluctuations

LarsJohann
05-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Alright, i've been having some trouble with my wireless card for the past couple days. It seems that my speed is changing randomly in between 54.0mbps to 48, then down to 36, and sometimes it even goes lower. Now this is quite an annoying problem since i am a gamer and i like to play online games. I get terrible lag and ping in online games. Also, i have no Wireless Router security and there are several different Wifi networks on my street. I was also thinking about changing the channel that my router operates on. Would anyone know why my speed keeps fluctuating like this and what i can do to stop this?

Regards.

Speedy Gonzales
05-02-2010, 12:55 PM
I wouldnt use wireless for online games for a start. Its not reliable

LarsJohann
05-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Well, it's my only option at the moment since i'm not able to run Cat5 cable through the roof or something :s

Speedy Gonzales
05-02-2010, 01:05 PM
How far are you from the router then? Could be distance

pkm
05-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Are there heaps of APs nearby? I remember seeing a tool that would show a nice spectrogram and you could see how busy the spectrum is on BSODTV

LarsJohann
05-02-2010, 01:46 PM
The router is really only 20ft away. And what's a AP?

Speedy Gonzales
05-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Access point

KarameaDave
05-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Changing channels might help if there are lots of others around you.
Mine was dropping out and very unreliable after 2 or 3 others appeared near me.
Changed to channel 2 and no further issues.

LarsJohann
05-02-2010, 02:26 PM
If it's of any help, i started noticing this problem when i installed a new video card and had to move the wireless card :s

Ever since then, my card's speed has been really random.

I tried switching channels aswell but i'm still getting the same result.

pkm
05-02-2010, 02:48 PM
My thinking is that it isnt the slight decrease in speed that is the problem, it caused by packet loss due to interference. The decrease in speed is a consequence. Perhaps ping the router a few times get an idea of whats occuring there.

LarsJohann
06-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Just a quick note aswell, my network is not secured. Could this be a problem aswell? I'm just a little confused asthough why it would only start doing this after i switched my card to a new PCI slot.

limepile
06-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Why would you not have a secured network ?
let me know where you live and I'll come round and log on !

That would be my first port of call, put a nice long password on the router. I find it helps if there are a lot of networks around to actually name your network. My house is surrounded by 6 wifi networks and 4 of them are "Linksys.." Here's a good name.." Fishbowl Friday "...wouldn't that stick out.

KarameaDave
06-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Yes indeed, unsecured wifi is the next-door teenagers' dream scenario.
I would attend to that immediately, never mind the connection issue!

You say your problem began when you shifted the WIFI PCI adapter
from one slot to another?

Did you take anti-static precautions?

Might be worth uninstalling the driver, taking the adapter out, rebooting without it, then reinstalling it.

LarsJohann
06-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Alright, i took care of the network security. I put a WPA pass phrase on there. Could the signal strength depends on my signal strength? Because my router isn't the best and has a very short range.

godfather
06-02-2010, 12:16 PM
The 2.4 GHz spectrum is a bit crowded, as noted above. Got a microwave, so have your neighbors (they are 2.4 GHz). Changed phones to 5.8 GHz, they were 2.4, as were wireless security devices.

Any slight interference and speed goes out the window.

I had a Belkin Airpoint and it was uselass outside the room. Now have a D-Link router for ADSL2 and the WiFi is brilliant, whole house covered. Security is in place.

Chilling_Silence
06-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Nice to see you're still a semi-regular there godfather ;)

If I was you, I'd invest in a larger antenna, and if your router supports it you can try upping the power output.

It only costs ~$40 for an antenna but it can make all the difference.

Renmoo
07-02-2010, 02:00 AM
You can try amplifying the signal by fitting the antennae with parabolic tin foils. Here's a web page for one of the templates available on the Internet: http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/index.html

Edit: Perhaps daisy-chaining wireless routers might help? Just a thought here.

Chilling_Silence
07-02-2010, 08:08 AM
You could daisy chain them, using something like DD-WRT as a repeater bridge, but you can kiss goodbye reliable ping times.

Get a bigger antenna and pump up the power. Even if you were to attach something like a WRT54GL running DD-WRT, or my preferred fav firmware Tomato, use that instead of your current AP.

If you do that, you'll have a much stronger signal, which means likely better speeds and a more reliable ping.

My wife happily games over WiFi. Pings to her machine fluctuate by an additional 1ms (*occasionally* 2ms at absolute most) when compared with mine. I keep a sharp eye on it at all times. It *is* possible to game over Wireless, reliably, but not on el-cheapo routers at a distance.