PDA

View Full Version : Temp files Linux Mandrake 8

08-08-2001, 11:48 AM
I have a dual boot system with the lunux boot loader on a floppy.

I want to tweak linux so as a first step where are the temp file I can delete regulary.

I have tweaked my Win98se as far as it will be tweaked (loads in 35seconds on my amd k62/350)

08-08-2001, 07:42 PM
Temp files should be in /tmp, but you shouldn't normally need to delete them (unless you find something that is abnormally large).

One thing that you will want to keep an eye on is your /var/log/messages file, which will continue to grow as you use your computer. You needn't delete it completely, though. Simply open it in a text editor and remove any entries that are more than a month old.

If you're keeping things clean, the du command is useful. To try it out, type:
#cd /home/yourname
#du
To do a full hard drive cleanout, it's useful to:
#cd /
#du > /home/yourname/du.txt

This will create a file in your personal directory called 'du.txt' which you can use to trace any disk space wastage.

08-08-2001, 08:23 PM
As has already been posted, LM8 is setup to do most of your maintence for you, eg it compreses old log file for you automatically. The /tmp folder is not as much of a problem as in windows, although I know people who still empty it at boot.

As for improving boot time, my copy of LM8 boots in 40 sec, compared to Win98 in 30 sec.
If you want to speed it up, disable the graphical boot (auora), and disable any services you don't need. The hardware detection takes quite a while, and can be run from the command line as root any way.

09-08-2001, 10:37 AM
Thank you both for your suggestions. I am always looking for ways to tweak performance and linux is the new challenge.

Now if I could get my scanner and mouuse wheel working I would just use windows when I want to game.