PDA

View Full Version : Hibernation Problems with my Laptop

vims213
05-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Hey Guys,

Long time since I've used this forum. Good to be back though.

My laptop has been doing some odd things lately which is related with hibernation from Windows 7 Professional

1st Problem - Whenever I hibernate my laptop, after a few hours it hibernates itself to the desktop. It annoys me since I don't realise that my laptop has been on all night which I don't like. :mad:

2nd Problem - Whenever I play a game (e.g. Call of Duty - MW2, Racer: Driver Grid), my laptop sometimes hiberates during the game. With COD MW2 (it shows up with a Direct X Error). My Direct X is updated by the way). This only happens if I play on my bed. Also I own a laptop cooler pad so it shouldn't be heating problems.

Any solutions will be appreciated.

Cheers

HP Pavillion dv5-1209ax
2.1 GHZ AMD X2 Athlon 64 Processor
4GB Ram
ATI HD 3650 512MB Graphics
Windows 7 Professional

pctek
05-02-2010, 11:25 AM
You sure it's actually hibernating during the games?

vims213
05-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi PCTek,

I'm positive it's hibernating during my games.

When I switch my computer back on, it says "Resuming from Windows" (normal procedure for hibernation for Windows 7).

Then for example on Modern Warfare 2, a Direct X error shows up.

Any solutions?

pctek
05-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Turn off hibernation?

Paul.Cov
05-02-2010, 09:39 PM
So, I think you're meaning at times the computer comes out of hibernation while you're asleep, and on other occasions drops unexpectedly back into hibernation, but these events only happen when used on your bed.

To me this screams of one of two issues... either a jostled power supply (power plug), or overheating.
Or maybe just enough give in the body of the laptop to allow some flexing of the motherboard to interrupt a contact somewhere.

Really beds and laptops are a pretty bad combination.
The combination of soft surfaces and bedding can easily disturb the power plugs contact. Likewise, all the bedding can smother the cooling vents and force it into shutting down.
Heat is even more of an issue if you're playing a game that draws heavily on DirectX.

The other objection I have with use on beds is that it's too easy for the laptop to get dumped onto the floor if you fall asleep, and that's a sure way to ruin the whole machine eventually.