PDA

View Full Version : no remembering passwords in W7

effie c
05-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Hi,

I have enthusiastically enjoyed W7 RC now moved onto W7 Pro:drool

BUT, why is it that neither Internet Explorer and Firefox, even after ticking "remember me" etc still has to be re entered upon start up?

Firefox in particular makes a habit of offering to remember but in some cases that is overruled---- not all, especially after a Ccleaner operation-that I can understand.

Have I not selected a "save" button somewhere?:rolleyes:

effie c

wainuitech
05-02-2010, 09:01 AM
it may be Ccleaner deleting the information.

Just check- what I do is run Ccleaner, then go to a the site you want saved, save the passwords etc, THEN open Ccleaner go to Options /Cookies - locate anything relating to the site you want, select it - then click the right arrow to move that to the keep box.

The reason I say run ccleaner first, is if you have browsed a few sites there may be a lot of files, and some may be missed, I find its not always just the one cookie that has to be moved/kept.. Example These three (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/PCworld1265314127.jpg) belong to PC World.

Speedy Gonzales
05-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Or do you mean when firefox asks you whether you want to save a password. And it gives you the option to save it, or not. This isnt the same as remember me on some sites.

pctek
05-02-2010, 09:09 AM
it may be Ccleaner deleting the information.

You can untick selected apps in Ccleaner - like IE or Firefox so that it won't remove this stuff, that will be why, it's cleared it.

effie c
05-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi all,

That, is my problem----why do they disappear when I have NOT used Ccleaner?

I clean once a week but today is Friday and I have not yet Ccleaned in any housekeeping usually done on a Friday- yet as usual I had to re enter passwords etc as programs,-- set to start on bootup,-- come up

These disappearing "remember me"'s and "save me"'s, and other variations are happening on every boot up

I know it does not make sense - so that brings the possiblity of my not setting something first- where would that be?

effie c

wainuitech
05-02-2010, 10:53 AM
effie - can you check something -- Open IE, Tools Internet Options -- - in the middle of the general Tab, make sure Delete temp files, etc files is NOT ticked Shown here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/IE81265320914.jpg)

For FF - check --
Password Manager settings

Firefox will remember passwords by default. You may have disabled this feature, or told Firefox to never remember passwords for a particular site.

1. At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click on the Tools - Options
2. Select the Security panel.
3. If it isn't already check marked, check Remember passwords for sites.
4. To the right of Remember passwords for sites, click the Exceptions... button .
5. Make sure that the site you're trying to log in to isn't in the list.
* If it is, select the entry and click Remove.
6. Click CloseClose the Exceptions window.
7. Click OK to close the Options window

effie c
05-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Hi,Wainui,

Smart thinking-- it was ticked- no longer

O K why does Internet Explorer do the same thing?

Not being querulous --just intrigued

effe c

effie c
05-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi again

Internet Explorer had no tick - and as far as Iknow both "remember me" are overuled on boot up

effie c

wainuitech
05-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Try this, see if it helps or Not - in IE,Tools> Internet Options> Privacy Tab Lower the sliding bar to the bottom ( default is medium) see if it keeps the passwords, if it does, slowly increase till it falters again.

Just trying to think what else can cause both FF & IE to lose the passwords, got to be one common element to both.

Please refresh my memory -- What firewall are you using ?

Also - go into the Internet Options>Content Tab > look for Auto Complete > setting button, make sure they are like this (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Auto_Complete.jpg) - IF they are, hit Delete Auto Complete History ( this Will REMOVE ALL passwords if any are saved) then close IE, and try again.