PDA

View Full Version : esata Drive not recognized under Windows XP/7

Chemical Ali
04-02-2010, 08:22 PM
I have a 2.5" hard drive enclosure that has a USB2 and an esata connection.

It works fine under USB but neither Windows XP or Windows 7 can detect/see the drive when it's connected via esata. It doesn't show up under device manager, my computer or disk management.

Have googled it a bit and some have suggested a BIOS adjustment -- I set my RAID controller to AHCI which just caused my PC to crash all the time on boot up!

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks in advance ...

Speedy Gonzales
04-02-2010, 08:34 PM
See if there are drivers for it on the mobo maker's site

Chemical Ali
04-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Alreday tried that - no there isn't.

Besides no devices showing under device manager as not installed.

Speedy Gonzales
04-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Whats the make/brand of the enclosure and the mobo? Does anything appear in device manager (like a ? or something), when it is connected? Did you connect the power to it if it needs it? Does it show up in the BIOS / post screen?

pctek
05-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Does it have it's own power?
With USB it will get the power from that but it may not be enough when using the sata.

Chemical Ali
05-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Good point PC Tek

I wondered about that but there's no power connector on the enclosure so it must draw power through USB.

Had both USB and eSata connected at the same time to see if that would power it (through USB) with the Esata connection running the data and still no luck.

Nomad
05-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Does it have a power input?

Chemical Ali
05-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Does it have a power input?

No it doesn't.

It's a Silverstone TS02B hard drive enclosure

Speedy Gonzales
05-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Whats the mobo? Is the Esata onboard, or is it a PCI card or something?

Chemical Ali
05-02-2010, 08:46 PM
It's on a bracket connected to the motherboard.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5.

wainuitech
05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
From what I have read that board doesn't support eSATA, so whats the bracket connected to on the Board ?

plod
05-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Pci card maybe

wainuitech
05-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Looking at the GA-EP45-DS3P it comes with a eSATA mounting Bracket as shown here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/esata.jpg) - Notice it also has its own power outlet.

Going by that, you need to power it up, if its connected Via a PCI card, or some other means, it may simply not have the power to run esata.

Does the case/Drive enclosure have any other type of connections (power)

Speedy Gonzales
05-02-2010, 09:23 PM
WHAT SATA port did you connect the bracket to?? One of the purple ones??

From one site

There are four more purple coloured SATA connectors the run on a separate Sil5723 controller. This is where you would plug in the included eSATA bracket, or just plug in more devices should you need to. This controller only supports RAID 0 and 1. The orange ones are for onboard SATA hdd's, and run in RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10.

It'll crash if you change it to AHCI in the BIOS (with XP), because you would have to slipstream the SATA drivers into the XP CD. Or download them then put them on floppy. Before you install XP / install them during the install. And it would crash with windows 7, probably because it was disabled when you installed Win7. If AHCI was enabled when you installed Windows 7, it would have installed Windows 7, since windows 7 has built in SATA drivers

wainuitech
05-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Also just reading this --
When purchasing an eSATA controller or bus card, be sure it supports the SATA standard required by your SATA hard drive(s). Hardware that supports newer standards is usually backwards compatible with older devices, but the reverse does not hold. An eSATA controller made for SATA/150, for example, will not be able to support the faster transfer speeds of a SATA/300 hard drive. Dont Know if it applies or not.

Assume its a 2.5" drive as well ??