PDA

View Full Version : PC World Reviewed Products Not Available

GordonBennet
04-02-2010, 01:05 PM
This has happened to me twice now, which is remarkable as I buy very little gear. Has it happened to you?

PC World does a rave review, then the goods aren't available in NZ. It happened months ago with a Sony laptop (can't remember which issue) and just recently with the Philips SHD8900 headphones. You can google that model as of now and you'll get no hits for either site: philips.co.nz or even site:co.nz

Maybe they are in stores and not on the internet, but who wants to have to go to the hassle of ringing round every place they might be?

I understand that PC World might occasionally be mislead by the manufacturer, but they ought to wait till the product is actually on shelves. The current (Feb) PC World must have been wrapped up weeks ago so there's been plenty of time for stocks to arrive, if they were going to.

Paul.Cov
05-02-2010, 06:59 AM
It may be that they were provided gear by the suppliers for them to review before the suppliers actually had retail stock, but I do have to wonder if the review is largely the work of their international arm, in which case that would certainly explain why a high proportion of the gear doesn't actually exist in NZ stores.

Either way though, it sucks for NZ readers.

On the back of that is the slap to the face of them continuing to give Nortons anti virus products a favourable review, and you really have to start to wonder just how independant their reviews really are. Are they product reviews, or just a glossy 10 page advertisement?

pablo d
05-02-2010, 03:02 PM
you won't find it by googling *.co.nz because the nz philips site redirects you to the NZ portion of the global philips.com site for most product categories.

you can navigate to the SHD8900's via the .co.nz categories, or by using the search function on the site. here is the product here, found via philips.co.nz

http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/indoor-headphones/shd8900_79/prd/nz/

they haven't listed stockists, but I'm sure most places that sell philips and/or pudney & lee (who i think distribute these in nz) gear should have/could get them :)

paulw
05-02-2010, 07:34 PM
The ad in PCWorld on page 11 says that the NZ distrubuter is Pudney and Lee
http://www.pudneyandlee.co.nz/