PDA

View Full Version : installing modems with linux

07-08-2001, 11:02 PM
I recently purchased a copy of mandrake/linux 8 and i am having trouble installing/configuring my modem.

i am running a dual boot linux/win98 system and the modem does work under win98. i am new to linux and so i am unfamiliar with the hardware installation and configuration process.

any help would be appreciated.

regards,
Mark.

08-08-2001, 01:16 AM
Is it an internal PCI modem less than 3 years old?

If it is then it is a winmodem, which is a piece of crap that uses the CPU to do the work of the modem, and as the name implies the software it uses is generally only available on windows.

Read more here:
http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

08-08-2001, 01:40 AM
Hi Mark.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I have been using Linux for over a year now. Firstly I tried Red-Hat Linux 6.1, and now have red-Hat Linux 7.0.
I have tried it with various combinations of Windows versions, from 3.1 through 95 and 98.
My modem is just a cheap internal ISA 56K one. ($80.00 about 2 years ago).
I believe some Linux applications require a class 2, or a class 2.0 modem. Mine, however is only a class 1.
But! It works very well with all the internet programs which come with Red-Hat. I couldn't get it to fax though, but I have recently downloaded a fax program called PMfax Lite, and now I can use it as a fax and voice mailbox, but I have yet to get it to transmit faxes easily. (soon, I hope).
setting up a internet connection should only take you a couple of minutes, as long as your Linux dist. has similar PPP programs as mine.
If interested, give me an email, and I may be able to offer some help.

Regards, Richard (ChCh area)

08-08-2001, 12:43 PM
I have what is probably the last isa modem ever made, 56K, and it cost a bit.

Real modems appear to the system as a com port.
Look at your modem manuals and if it is a 'real' modem it'll have a jumper to manually set it as a com port.
If it does then set it and try reinstalling mandrake and let it auto detect.

08-08-2001, 08:48 PM
If it's a real modem, it shouldn't need any configuring. Assuming that your BIOS recognises it as com2, then you should be able to access it directly on /dev/ttyS1.

If it's a soft modem, then you might have some luck if you take a look at http://www.linmodems.org. However, a better option would be to get rid of it. Any external serial modem should work fine for you, but if you want a PCI modem, I think you'll find the US Robotics and IBM models are all real.