PDA

View Full Version : PSU problems?

Anti_trust
03-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Hey all, long time reader.

I am having a problem which I believe to be my PSU but would like your thoughts. The main problem is my PC shuts down randomly and unexpectedly, as if power has been pulled from the wall. It is very inconsistent and I cannot recreate the problem. Event viewer shows Event ID of 14 I think (kernel lost power). Sometimes I hear the harddrive power off and power up quickly without the entire system shutting down and no detrimental effects. Sometimes it can have a long spell (weeks-a month) with no problems whatsoever.

It is a raidmax<--(probably my problem) 540ish watt PSU. ASUS m3nHT deluxe, phenom 9650 and win7 Ultimate x64.

Does this sound like the PSU? It is my guess, I'm just hope it is not something more severe, such as a mobo problem.

Is there any reliable PSU testing software, or am I going to have to pull my multimeter out?

Thanks a lot for all thoughts, ideas, comments

Speedy Gonzales
03-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Is it the M3N-HT Deluxe Mempipe, or M3N-HT Deluxe HDMI?

Anti_trust
03-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the quick reply mate. It is the HDMI, as far as I'm aware it is only a physical difference between those boards (the RAM heatpipe) but I could be wrong.

pablo d
03-02-2010, 12:33 PM
whether it's the PSU or not, putting in a better one would be recommended anyway.

Speedy Gonzales
03-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Umm I think you mean event id: 41, not 14.. Have a read of this (http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-vista-windows-7-support/434613-solved-kernel-power-41-63-error.html). And are you using the onboard HDMI (is it connected to a monitor with HDMI on it)?

Anti_trust
03-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Haha I knew if I'd made a mistake it would be noticed in no time. I'm only using onboard sound atm, as it is good enough for the time (and ran out funds during the build :rolleyes: ). I will check the drivers when I get home in a few minutes. As for vid output still in the stone ages with my CRT so obviously VGA. Thanks for all suggestions, any ideas or thoughts appreciated because if I can resolve this situation or at least gain a little bit more convenience of use until I do replace anything I would be stoaked.

Cheers all

pctek
03-02-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm only using onboard sound atm, as it is good enough for the time (and ran out funds during the build :

Wouldn't bother with a sound card, onboard these days is fine.

Your PC while it has a crap PSU, could even be overheating. That would shut it off.
Or some other unrelated problem.

DragonLord3688
03-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Hey all, long time reader.

I am having a problem which I believe to be my PSU but would like your thoughts. The main problem is my PC shuts down randomly and unexpectedly, as if power has been pulled from the wall. It is very inconsistent and I cannot recreate the problem. Event viewer shows Event ID of 14 I think (kernel lost power). Sometimes I hear the harddrive power off and power up quickly without the entire system shutting down and no detrimental effects. Sometimes it can have a long spell (weeks-a month) with no problems whatsoever.

It is a raidmax<--(probably my problem) 540ish watt PSU. ASUS m3nHT deluxe, phenom 9650 and win7 Ultimate x64.

Does this sound like the PSU? It is my guess, I'm just hope it is not something more severe, such as a mobo problem.

Is there any reliable PSU testing software, or am I going to have to pull my multimeter out?

Thanks a lot for all thoughts, ideas, comments

Dude I got the SAME problem. I have an Aspire APEVIA X-Infinity case with a stock Turbolink PSU.. hard drive makes the sounds like its cycling, and RANDOMLY cuts out...

Another quirk is during the POST when I boot up in the morning it hangs at initializing USB Host controllers, until I press the hard reset button on the PC and then it works.. sometimes, very rarely, I have to do it more than once. My case has lights on it and they occasionally go out, flicker and act peculier, I would venture to say it IS a PSU problem. Recommend Thermaltake as a new replacement.

inphinity
03-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Also, damaged/dying capacitors on the mainboard can cause this. You can usually see them visually bulging and, often, leaking a little, if this is the case.