PDA

View Full Version : Transferring OS & all programs & files to new PC

straka01
02-02-2010, 12:52 PM
For Christmas I bought my wife a new PC - well had one built.
Her old one is over 10yrs old & although still going well - it's slow and doesn't have descent graphics & suchlike.
It has an XP Pro OS, IE8, and 10 years worth of emails, files, programs, etc.

Rather than reload and OS and each program & file onto the new PC i was wondering if there's a way of (or program to...) mirror or clone or transport the entire C: drive with the OS & all, and transfer it straight over to the new PC in one lot.

Is it 'do-able'?
If so, how do I do it?

Many thanks.

Sweep
02-02-2010, 12:58 PM
No.

The old O/S will not be able to cope with the new hardware. (Drivers)

I suggest you use files and settings transfer wizard which will transfer data but reinstall the O/S and programs.

wratterus
02-02-2010, 01:06 PM
You can clone, but with the age difference in the hardware you are likely to run into issues, it will be fixable but often requires reasonable knowledge and skill with windows, you'd be better off doing a fresh install. As Sweep said, the files ans settings transfer wizard makes things very easy.

Cato
02-02-2010, 01:06 PM
XP will handle pretty much anything you throw at it...

http://www.techsupportalert.com/drive-imaging-reviews.htm

nmercer
02-02-2010, 01:17 PM
whats the new OS?

Personally I would use something like Sysinterals Disk2VHD http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx to convert your old physical machine and run it as a VM on the new machine

straka01
02-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Same OS - XP Pro.

pctek
02-02-2010, 01:30 PM
It has an XP Pro OS, IE8, and 10 years worth of emails, files, programs, etc.

Rather than reload and OS and each program & file onto the new PC i was wondering if there's a way of (or program to...) mirror or clone or transport the entire C: drive with the OS & all, and transfer it straight over to the new PC in one lot.

You might get away with cloning it, then fixing the drivers once it BSODs on you. But I waouldn't.
It will be messy, bloated and cluttered.
Do a clean install, then copy her personal stuff over.
Much neater, much tidier and MUCH more stable.

straka01
02-02-2010, 01:38 PM
OK, it's a new install then.

Thanks to all for your replies.

CYaBro
02-02-2010, 02:01 PM
It can be done with something like ShadowProtect using their Hardware Independant Restore option but as others have said, best to start fresh on totally new hardware.

Blam
02-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Definitely do-able with using some software, however you will most likely run into alot of problems...

If the new OS is Vista or 7, you could also transfer your emails/documents over with Easy Transfer.

Blam

nmercer
03-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Yes you can install DOS into Windows Virtual PC (VPC7)

you just need this: http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2009/10/01/using-floppy-disks-with-windows-virtual-pc.aspx to use the floppy disk to install.