PDA

View Full Version : Laptop/Wireless and T stick

smurf
02-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Can someone help me with this query please. I have a laptop that has wireless and if I wish to use my wireless connection at home instead of my Ethernet connection, I switch on the wireless switch on my laptop. Just before Xmas, because i was going away, I bought prepaid mobile wireless T sticks from Vodafone and Telecom and duly installed them. Since then, my wireless switch on the laptop fails to activate. Is this because the mobile broadband T sticks have somehow overridden the switching capabilities of the Laptop or is it likely to be a Laptop fault. I haven't yet taken the mobile software off the machine and really don't want to do that unless i have to. Thanks

SolMiester
02-02-2010, 10:11 AM
why did you get 2 wireless modems (vodaphone & telecom), telecom has t-stick sierra wireless watcher software, the xt network sticks have telecom connection software, not sure about vodaphone.
when you say fail to activate, do you mean enable or connect to your home network?....telecom connection manager for the xt network may overwrite the windows zero config for wireless, but not sure about the laptop manufacturers bespoke software. what brand laptop?

smurf
02-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks for your reply SolMeister. I got the two modems because we were on an extended holiday and found that coverage varied ie in the more remote locations, Telecom was giving better coverage than Vodafone. My laptop is an Acer 5024WLMi with inbuilt wireless. When i say failed to activate, I mean I can't turn the switch on.ie pressing it does not activate it (light fails to come on) and therefore it will not detect my home network which it did before I installed the mobile modems :)

SolMiester
02-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Oooooo Acer laptop.....you could try uninstalling the software for vodaphone and telecom, or try re-install the touch key software.....hard to say with Acer!