PDA

View Full Version : Help Please.

Badger100
01-02-2010, 09:59 PM
I have a desktop PC running WXP. I have just purchased a laptop running W7. A friend has given me a Belkin wireless router. I would like to make the laptop wireless so I can use it around the house. A friend tells me that I will first have to make the desktop wireless (because this is the machine connected to the modem), then later switch that back to ethernet before connecting the laptop to the wireless setup. I don't want or need the desktop to be wireless.I tried unsuccesfully a few days ago to get the desktop wireless but could not get that to work at all. The installation Cd that came with the router woud not open up the manual or "connect another computer" section, I wondered if this was because I failed to connect the desktop. Any ideas?.

Speedy Gonzales
01-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Dont use the install cd for the router. Log into it and configure the router / wireless

Badger100
02-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Thankyou for the reply. I am not hot on pc's, so i am vague on what that actually means. Could you give me that in full step by step stages please.

Speedy Gonzales
02-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Download the manual. It'll take too long to explain. And different routers use different ip addresses to login to them

Trev
02-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Most Belkin routers have this address to get into the settings http://10.1.1.1/ Just type this into the address bar of your browser.
:)

Badger100
02-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Thankyou both for your assistance. After much messing around, did find the answer from the Belkin website as suggested. Many thanks.
badger100