PDA

View Full Version : VCR/DVD dubbing

Brucem
01-02-2010, 08:57 AM
We have a Samsung combined VCR/DVD primarily to transfer 100's of VCR's to DVD. Some tapes of course exceed the 2 hour limit, and have to be split or put on double layer disks. I recently put about 2 hr 40 min on a DL disk, and finalised it. It wont play at all on our Pioneer DVD recorder/player, and only the 1st layer will play on the computer. It plays OK on the combo player, but it won't let me unfinalise the disk. Has anyone any suggestions apart from using multiple ordinary disks?

Nate08
01-02-2010, 09:35 AM
If your DVD recorder is anything like mine you should have options for length of recording time. Mine can record up to 8 hours on a single layer disc but the more hours you record the quality gets worse but I've never noticed that much difference.
The options I've got are, XP best quality 1 hour, SP 2 hours, LP 4 hours, EP 8 hours
Not sure if yours would be the same though

Brucem
01-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks Nate I will try that, presueably you need to tell the machine that before you start.

Brucem
02-02-2010, 07:21 AM
It worked OK, and plays satisfactorily. As it was dubbed from an old VCR tape quality seems no worse than the tape was.

Nate08
02-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Cool, glad it worked

Paul.Cov
02-02-2010, 05:13 PM
As a storage medium, DVDs are pretty woefull when it comes to data integrity and lifespan. One of the few things in its favour was that the entire mpg (and VOB) format, and the players of DVDs are designed to be forgiving and to attempt to carry on in the event of a bit of bad data.

I STRONGLY recommend you do not use double layer, and keep the tapes - although they might degrade over time, you'll probably find your DVDs completely die before the tapes are totally stuffed.

If you want a longer lasting archive of your media, consider copying the resultant VOB files and folders from each DVD to a hard disc (4.4GB per DVD) (or use DVD recording software to create an 'image' of each DVD).
Then copy the whole lot again onto another hard disc. It's the only way to be safe with storage media.

Speedy Gonzales
02-02-2010, 06:24 PM
And if the hdd dies / fails, then what?