PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron 580 - Should I buy?

natos17
31-01-2010, 11:08 PM
http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?reconfigure=true&vw=icon&cart=ActiveCart&id=71979c62-0b18-438c-83fe-a2b70fcd19e8&ecomm=ecomm.apj.dell.com&c=nz&l=en&cs=nzdhs1

So looking at buying a new desktop comp and this one is looking pretty appealing. Was aiming to spend a couple hundred less but would be willing to pay for this if it was good enough. Would be using it for general uni work, internet, music (alot), videos and some gaming. How would it handle games like oblivion and other newish games? Anyway, any comments would be awesome. Oh and one other very, very important thing - would I be able to replace and upgrade the components in the future?? Because that's the main reason I'm switching from laptop to desktop. Things like memory, graphics card etc.

Thanks heaps :)

qazwsxokmijn
31-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Buying a Dell is a sin. NEVER EVERY buy a Dell desktop.

Ever.

Period.

Are you in NZ?

pctek
01-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Buy one from a real PC shop.
Computer Lounge for instance.

natos17
01-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Um, why? My present and previous computers were Dells and they've been great. Plus, any comp with the same specs at stores have lower specs or don't quite have something I'm looking for. But anyway, perhaps somebody would like to recommend a particular store or model? Looking for at least 320gb hard drive (preferably 500gb), 4gb ram, an average graphics card, a good sound card and a good processor. Oh and I'm down south in Dunedin :)

natos17
01-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Oh and no computer lounge in Dunedin, although I'll check out their online store now...

qazwsxokmijn
01-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Why? Because Dell uses cheap, shitty brand motherboards, generic RAM and power supplies of often unknown quality. After all that, they overprice their machines, and give substandard after-sales service.

Computer Lounge is a store up in Auckland, they are considered one of the best computer shop in NZ. Their prices are very reasonable, nearly on par with the cheap Chinese/Indian unreliable stores, but their after sales services are second to none. I've dealt with them a couple of times now and they've been nothing but friendly, helpful and not least, actually know what they're on about.

They also do free shipping nation wide. I can guarantee they can build a similar system to any of Dell's offering at a much better price, and with the confidence that if anything is wrong with the new PC, that they'll rectify the problem.

pctek
01-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Um, why? My present and previous computers were Dells and they've been great.

Sheer luck.

Had a friend who owned 2 Ladas once. They went well until they died.
Let's all vote for Lada as the best car then shall we?

Same thing, you can't base it on your personal experience, quality is measured in failure rate of 1000's not one or two.

gary67
01-02-2010, 01:06 PM
There must be a local shop building computers in Dunedin building computers to spec and who will give full customer service

SolMiester
01-02-2010, 02:42 PM
There must be a local shop building computers in Dunedin building computers to spec and who will give full customer service

A fly by night retail computer shop in no good either as they can very well drop out of business....

I have no problems recommending Dell for consumer goods, business class is another matter....

Brucem
01-02-2010, 04:34 PM
My current computer was built by PCs unlimited (Christchurch) (in mid 2007). They have an on line system here you can order what you want. I selected it then went in and modified it a bit. Works well, although I did have to replace the DVD writer. I recently added a 2nd Gb of ram.

PPp
01-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Heres a link to GPforums with their ratings for suppliers, really a hearsay consensus but could be useful to avoid a bad experience from lower rated suppliers.
http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/297771/

tutaenui
01-02-2010, 06:26 PM
I would say if you are happy with your previous Dells then by all means get another. A firm can't consistently be among the worlds top selling computers by selling overpriced crap. I might add at one stage the company I worked for had over 900 Dell desktops and they were among the most reliable we ever had.

natos17
01-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Once again, thanks everyone for the help. Still pretty keen on the Dell but I've been looking round at some PC building companies online. Saw this one which looks great too (to me anyway). But not too sure about the processor. Opinions? I'm guessing once a monitor, mouse and keyboard are added it would be around the same price as the 580.

http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=COM00336

qazwsxokmijn
01-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Best to custom build. Tell us your needs and we can configure a system that suits your budget. HDD space?

Sweep
01-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Once again, thanks everyone for the help. Still pretty keen on the Dell but I've been looking round at some PC building companies online. Saw this one which looks great too (to me anyway). But not too sure about the processor. Opinions? I'm guessing once a monitor, mouse and keyboard are added it would be around the same price as the 580.

http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=COM00336

Quite frankly I don't like the motherboard in the first place.

natos17
01-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Unfortunately i'm not too proficient in motherboards. What should I be looking for? @qazwsxokmijn - 500gb HDD, 4gb ram, a pretty good graphics card, preferably good audio and the ability to upgrade the components later. I'd also like an HDMI out, windows 7, an alright monitor and any dvd drive. Looking to spend $1000-$1500. The 580 and Paradigm PCs comps do most of that but when I look at the custom build sites it usually seems to end up around $1700, which is really more than I can afford right now. But that's why I'd be keen to leave options open for upgrading parts later...

bk T
01-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Sheer luck.

Had a friend who owned 2 Ladas once. They went well until they died.
Let's all vote for Lada as the best car then shall we?

Same thing, you can't base it on your personal experience, quality is measured in failure rate of 1000's not one or two.

Lada? It's Rusian FIAT, right? They good cars.

Sweep
01-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Unfortunately i'm not too proficient in motherboards. What should I be looking for? @qazwsxokmijn - 500gb HDD, 4gb ram, a pretty good graphics card, preferably good audio and the ability to upgrade the components later. I'd also like an HDMI out, windows 7, an alright monitor and any dvd drive. Looking to spend $1000-$1500. The 580 and Paradigm PCs comps do most of that but when I look at the custom build sites it usually seems to end up around $1700, which is really more than I can afford right now. But that's why I'd be keen to leave options open for upgrading parts later...

Well I would be looking at an Asus board. An AMD CPU to fit

If you get the dell which is your choice then upgrading may cost more.

pctek
02-02-2010, 07:50 AM
A firm can't consistently be among the worlds top selling computers by selling overpriced crap.

Of course it can.
Heard of marketing?
Why did MS get to be THE O/S company in the world?

Why does Apple sell so many iproducts?

Why do brandnames sell so much stuff.

Quality has nothing to do with it.

Dell has TV ads, the others don't. They send mailouts, they are in your face everywhere.

Who's seen a TV ad for any of the decent NZ PC shops?

If you believe size = quality you're just the sort of sucker the ads are targetted at.

sroby
02-02-2010, 08:08 AM
You will need the patience of a saint to deal with Dells help desk. Ive had customers who just gave up & paid us to sit on the phone (on hold) just to arrange warranty repairs or spare parts (batts/powers supplies)

Their hardware is now OK (some is very good).
You get what you pay for basically, dont buy a cheap Dell(or anything) & expect top of the line.

Brooko
02-02-2010, 12:25 PM
natos17
As others have advised - you can do a lot better than Dell. Better parts, more reliability - and without a lot of the junk.

I noticed the Paradigm PC listed didn't list brand on the PSU - which most of us here would consider to be very important. Also it doesn't list a monitor - didn't you say you wanted one as well?

Perhaps easiest to start with basics - you've listed some already. I've made a list below from your previous posts. As I understand it - you require a desktop - capable of basic computing + video / music and gaming.

So - you need indication for:

Case - Mid Tower
Mobo - No pref - needs to be quality - doesn't need onboard video (stand alone card for gaming)
CPU - AMD or Intel, good value ratio
PSU - Depends on other parts, decent brand
HDD - 320-500 Gb
RAM - 4 Gb
Gfx Card - Value for money + OK for med gaming
Onboard Sound OK
Optical Drive - Std CD/DVD burner
OS Win7
Monitor - size?
KBd & Mouse - guessing wired if you are gaming?

Using Computer Lounge - here's an initial thought.
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/systems/systemdetail.asp?systypeid=4

The team here (who have way more experience than I have) will hopefully chip in as well.

That's $1069 for a preconfig system. Add OS @ $179
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=10410

Mouse and Kbd @ $59 & $49 = $108
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=5252
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=4975

And monitor $315 (22in)
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=6963

Grand total = $1671

There may be further discounts from CL as well - you won't know until you check with them.

A lot of this stuff wouldn't be my pref - but it is pretty close to your original budget - and you can guarantee it will be quality.

natos17
02-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks man! Appreciate it. It's exactly what I'm looking for. A bit pricier than I was looking for, but with the 5% off the system and a cheaper monitor, mouse and keyboard, I've worked out I could get it ~$1460. Which is around the max figure and the price of the dell. I'm actually pretty keen on it. Anybody else have any opinions?

qazwsxokmijn
02-02-2010, 08:13 PM
What's the specs of the Dell you were looking at?

natos17
02-02-2010, 08:21 PM
About the same, 500gb HDD, 4gb ram, one of the new intel i3 processors, a GeForce G310 512mb graphics card for $1450. Pretty much same price. But i've heard Dells are harder to get compatible upgrade components.

http://www1.ap.dell.com/nz/en/home/desktops/inspiron-580/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-580&s=dhs&cs=nzdhs1 (the cheaper one)

qazwsxokmijn
02-02-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm not too sure whether the new i3 is comparable to the Athlon being offered in CL's system, but the 4850 in CL's system is much better than the inferior G310 Dell includes in the 580.

Added to the fact CL uses an Asus board, and SuperTalent RAM, whereas Dell would use some lower-quality brands.

natos17
03-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Anybody know if AOC monitors are any good? Looking at getting this one, it looks pretty sweet but is suspiciously cheap. But looking around, they seem reputable enough.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentpop.asp?partid=9687

qazwsxokmijn
03-02-2010, 11:11 AM
They're not the best but they do the job.

SolMiester
03-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Of course it can.
Heard of marketing?
Why did MS get to be THE O/S company in the world?

Why does Apple sell so many iproducts?

Why do brandnames sell so much stuff.

Quality has nothing to do with it.

Dell has TV ads, the others don't. They send mailouts, they are in your face everywhere.

Who's seen a TV ad for any of the decent NZ PC shops?

If you believe size = quality you're just the sort of sucker the ads are targetted at.

yawn

robbyp
03-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Anybody know if AOC monitors are any good? Looking at getting this one, it looks pretty sweet but is suspiciously cheap. But looking around, they seem reputable enough.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentpop.asp?partid=9687

For monitors, I would recommend Dells Ultrasharp, but that is the only Dell product I would buy. Have a laptop, and it is still going after 4 years, but a few of the buttons on it no longer work and the build quality isn't good (cheap silver plastic)and in one place it has cracked from the heat. I guess Dells are 'ok' but you can get a better system custom build from you with good brands, such as Asus.