PDA

View Full Version : VM Ware Client Viewer problems

mzee
31-01-2010, 04:18 PM
We use VM Ware Client viewer to work on files for a shipping company.

Usually to install it you go to the clients web site and log in, then it installs an Internet connection, this part is Ok. It then tries to install the VM Client viewer but does not succeed. It gives a message " install not successful, click on Install Active X Control on thr tool bar"
Problem is there is no toolbaar. Tried manual installation of Active x and done a test which says Active x Ok. Still comes up with the same problem.
One computer, Windows xp Sp2 still works Ok but the second one which used to be Ok until we had to reinstall refuses to install the client view.

I have tried it on 4 computers running xp pro Sp2, Sp3 & W7, same problem. Client says nothing wrong, so why do we have a problem?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
31-01-2010, 05:34 PM
If youre using IE, it'll appear under where you type in a site. WHAT browser are you using?

mzee
02-02-2010, 09:25 PM
It only works on IE, but will also work on FF with the IEtabs plugin.
Have tried IE 6, 7, 8 no difference. There is picture on the MVware installer showing a small menu in the address bar on the right. Has options Install Active x control for all users, current user. The menu does not show so installation comes to an end.

I have got one computer to work by backing up with Acronis Echo & doing a Universal restore to the other. After many hours I managed to change all the drivers and it is now usable. This leaves one laptop which needs an installation.
I thought of doing a Univeral restore to it as well, but for some reason Achronis Echo can't see the hard drive. Acronis 11 does, but it does not do Universal restore.

SolMiester
03-02-2010, 03:10 PM
VM Ware client software doesnt work with W7, as of 3 mths ago, not sure if an update has gone out yet, and Im talking about the softwrae for viewing the host and VM's, though the base software could very well be the same.

Try placing the web site in trusted zone

SolMiester
03-02-2010, 03:32 PM
double post

mzee
03-02-2010, 07:19 PM
VM view portal will work with W7 with a patch which makes it think its xp.
Installed a later version of Juniper connection so that works well.

I think the problem of the prompt to load Active X not showing is caused by a security setting in the Internet settings. Can't test it yet as I need the Dongle for the password.

mzee
04-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Got around the Active X problem by changing the security settings and
' VM Ware viewer client portal' but it won't run "Required-Plug in not available'

This Plug-in must be on the computer which works.

1] Where would the Plug-in be kept?
2] What would it be called, and what would the extension be?

I have looked at IE Explorer Add-ons but nothing there that I don't recognize.

mzee
07-02-2010, 10:48 PM
This is driving me nuts!
Any ideas please, anybody?

mzee
10-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Problem solved :-)

The instruction sheet omitted to mention that the VMware had to be installed from another web site, not the working one. This done all is well.

BTW it does run on W7 fine with a small Reg patch.