PDA

View Full Version : Teltra Clear...best ISP, worst service

FAB
31-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Ok it's whinge time.

I have been with TC for over 3 years in Wellington, the cable service is lightening fast and I just got a free upgrade from 4Mbps to 10Mbs. Great. They won ISP of the year. Fantastic.

But why o why do I always have to wait for so long for anyone to answer the help line? I have never waited less than 30 minutes for someone to answer, no matter what day or time it is...thank God for speakerphones.
Is it just me? I rang yesterday from Levin (on behalf of my Aunt) - waited over 30 minutes.

Today I am on hold, waiting time expected to be 27 minutes. All I want to do is check a charge on my account, and I can't find the answer online in my account.

I know they won Best ISP and I will never change to another due to the speed of cable broadband, but man their helpdesk waiting time Sucks Big Time.

Am stopping my whinge...well, ok, I'll keep whinging in my head until I get a human actually answering my call, but still...27 minutes?!?!

As for the Telstra Clear tag line - Now's Good....for someone to answer my call!

FAB
31-01-2010, 03:21 PM
20 minutes and counting - the elevator music is driving me to hang up - is that why they play it?

Nomad
31-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Even other ISP can be like that, incl my one.

Hey would you rather want a 1.8Mbit speed with my ISP or with your one :p

FAB
31-01-2010, 03:29 PM
28 minutes - a new record! :)
Nomad I can relate to your pain - my aunt in Levin is on the TC PDQ plan - a whole 256k down and 128k up!

KarameaDave
31-01-2010, 04:14 PM
When I was with Slingshot (Never again:angry)
I waited over 45 mins every time....there were 7 times.
Still took them over 3 weeks to restore our phone service!!
They treated me like a simpleton:(
I have found Telstraclear to be helpful and reliable
2 things those other clowns failed at miserably.
Well worth the wait IMHO

Chikara
31-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Well as it's whinge time, here's my bad experience also with TelstraClear...
A while ago, when I was moving, I signed up with them for their home package which included TV and home phone. Never again.
I've never experienced such bad service, regularly, in my life. Much much worse than I ever had with Telecom. Despite arranging it weeks in advance and re-confirming shortly before I moved in, nothing was actually set up as promised. I had the same problems with ringing and trying to actually get hold of someone with excessive times on hold before getting a real person. 30mins was about normal. I was without a landline for about 4 days before they fixed it. (To their credit, they did - eventually - reimburse me for calls I had to make using my mobile number instead)

Then, a week or so later, my cable service stopped all of a sudden. They had disconnected the previous occupiers' account and accidentally shut down the service to me at his old address. Yep, another long delay trying to get someone to answer and sort it out.
They needed to send a technician to my house for it, and I had to be present. Of course they didn't do non-standard hours, so I took a morning off work. They didn't turn up as arranged. Of course, ringing to find out where they were wasted another half an hour before I got a person. Unfortunately when i re-scheduled, they missed that appointment also. Neither time did they ring me in advance to let them know they would be late or can't make it. Finally on the third attempt they finally came.
I don't think I have ever experienced such poor service on such a regular basis. Ever since then, anyone that asked I would always discourage from using them because of their poor service.
Interesting to see that even now they haven't improved.

Do they still have the automated prompt where you have to enter your customer number and # when you first get put on hold??
When you finally get through to a person, they would always ask for it again. I asked them once why they always ask me for it when they would already have it when I keyed it in at the start. They said the keying in of it doesn't actually work or appear on the operators screens. Geez!

tutaenui
31-01-2010, 07:38 PM
My experience has been the opposite from the above when I rang Telstra a couple of months ago. After about 2 minutes of ringing I got a message to leave name and number and they would contact me as soon as an operator was free. To be honest I thought yeah right! but I did as instructed and got a return call within 20 minutes and the problem solved within 10 minutes.

bk T
31-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Well, well, well.

Most ISPs are more or less the same. This is the way it is, whether you like it or not. Just be patient, patient and patient.

This is New Zealand.

qazwsxokmijn
31-01-2010, 07:56 PM
You think 30 minutes is bad? Try 1 hour, then got hung up on, then another 20 minutes to re-explain problem to another person. That's iHug.

Telecom's record was 45 minutes for me.

And waiting time is the least of their problems!!

wainuitech
31-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Last few times I rang Telecom got a reply within 1 minute or less -- They had ( dont know if its still going) a survey running, if you pressed 1 to take the survey at the end they answer right away - dont do the survey option and :sleep:sleep Of course you never do the survey anyway.

Telstra can get busy, I've had times I call them, make a cuppa first, go through their voice prompts and have your drink and cakes / biscuits while waiting on hold -- Other times its --OH bugger - mouth full of biscuits and they answer :xmouth:

Usually I find if there is a problem someplace within their network every man and his dog is calling them, saying my Internets down = WAIT.

FAB
31-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Well, well, well.

Most ISPs are more or less the same. This is the way it is, whether you like it or not. Just be patient, patient and patient.

This is New Zealand.

I think I have to disagree with this "This is the way it is, whether you like it or not" - it doesn't have to be this way at all.

I am patient (you have to be!) but good service does not equal these sorts of common experiences with TC's (or any other ISP's) help desk....

bk T
31-01-2010, 10:14 PM
.. it doesn't have to be this way at all.

I agree with you, it doesn't have to be this way at all but that's the reality.

Let's face it. As the old saying goes: If you can't beat them, join them; if you can't join them, you got to leave them. You don't have many options, do you?

pctek
01-02-2010, 08:21 AM
I have been with TC for over 3 years in Wellington, the cable service is lightening fast and I just got a free upgrade from 4Mbps to 10Mbs. Great. They won ISP of the year. Fantastic.

But why o why do I always have to wait for so long for anyone to answer the help line?

You have to wait ages with other ISPs too.
At least when TC answer I have found, they always give good service. There is less halfwits noit listening and telling you to do irrelevant things with TC.

So put up with the wait times.

wainuitech
01-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Lets see how long :p Currently its 9.22am Calling now about a problem that a customers having ---------------------->

Hmmmm Says 48 Minutes -- Ok there was an upgrade last night --------

OH CRAP-- OK telstra have problems - both my phone lines suddenly died

FAB
01-02-2010, 09:36 AM
BKT I think I have to be a little clearer: If we here are all experiencing long wait times for someone to answer our call for help, regardless of time or day, then that is poor management.

Reports which management at TC (or any ISP) recieves on wait times, hang ups etc, would show this. They need more staff to man the phones, it's that simple IMO.

The reality is this way it is now is a poor way of running a business.

Does it have to be the way it is now? No - that what was I was trying to say.

Do I have many options? As you say, no I don't, but that's no excuse for poor service.

wainuitech
01-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Seems they are currently having a MASSIVE problem -- Tried on the Cell - They are not even connecting to the help desk, telling people to call back later.

Least the Internet is still going ( shhhhhhhhhhh) :)

wainuitech
01-02-2010, 11:31 AM
11.25, recalled Telstra, it said 31 minute wait - less than 1 minute later talking to a Telstra Tech. :D

pctek
01-02-2010, 12:46 PM
They need more staff to man the phones

Does it have to be the way it is now?

No of course not. They could:
A)Hire more NZ staff at extra cost, reduced profits - nah, can't see that happening

B)Fire all NZ staff and outsource to an asian call centre.

You think that would improve things?

Roger Hunt
01-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Vodafone told me to stop calling them as they were sick of me complaining about the crap speed. This is good for me.

FAB
01-02-2010, 01:28 PM
No need for the sarcasm PCtek.

Obviously outsourcing the helpdesk to Asia would not improve things.
Hiring more staff - yes would equal reduced profits but if the company wants long-term viability (and increasing their customer base = bigger profits), they need to be realistic about it.

What's the point of profits if customers are leaving, or you can't sign up new ones because of the reputation of your help desk answer times?

Yes, I know, I said I would not leave them for the only reason of an overloaded help desk, but if someone else comes along and has a good rep, prices and speeds, then yeah I'd jump ship fairly quickly.

wainuitech
01-02-2010, 01:58 PM
someone else comes along and has a good rep, prices and speeds, then yeah I'd jump ship fairly quickly. No ISP can guarantee excellent service all the time. Take Xnet - was fast,until more people got hold of it, esp the torrent plans and down it went. Sometimes it better the devil you know as the saying goes.

d_wong
02-02-2010, 10:51 PM
I've never had to ring them.

FAB
03-02-2010, 09:05 AM
No ISP can guarantee excellent service all the time.

True Wainuitech - I'd be the first to agree, but I'd like excellent service just *some* of the time :).
When I say excellent service, I simply mean the help desk phone being answered in say less than 5 minutes. Too much to ask?

bk T
03-02-2010, 10:39 AM
BKT I think I have to be a little clearer: If we here are all experiencing long wait times for someone to answer our call for help, regardless of time or day, then that is poor management.

Reports which management at TC (or any ISP) recieves on wait times, hang ups etc, would show this. They need more staff to man the phones, it's that simple IMO.

The reality is this way it is now is a poor way of running a business.

Does it have to be the way it is now? No - that what was I was trying to say.

Do I have many options? As you say, no I don't, but that's no excuse for poor service.

OK. We all (not all of us, of course) know that most organisations including ALL of our Govt departments, schools, etc., etc., have 'MANAGEMENT' issues; and that is the general 'environment' in NZ - maybe some other countries as well. What can we do about it? NOTHING! Since we still want to live and work here there's no other options but to live with it. Face and accept the reality and we will be happier, healthier and live longer:D.
Be happy and enjoy life. New Zealand is a beautiful country with nice weather (at least better than lots of other places) and FRESH AIR.

I do understand how you feel, nevertheless. :)