PDA

View Full Version : Sound quality

qazwsxokmijn
30-01-2010, 07:52 PM
So Telecom is sending me a Senheisser headphone for being a 'loyal customer'. Now I'm not much of an audiophile in terms of sound quality etc, so I'm not too sure of how I can take full advantage of a quality headphone.

Will putting the headphone through a generic DSE 2.1 speaker affect the sound at all? I'm assuming not, because it's just the data that's being transferred into the headphone am I right? And does the bitrate of an MP3 file matter? Will I notice a noticeable change in sound quality over some same old same old earphone and speakers?

Brooko
31-01-2010, 02:46 AM
Qaz.

I'm not an audiophile either - but have been getting back into my music over the last couple of years. Ended up getting a quite high end set of Shures (SE420) + have a mid range set of Senns (eH250) at home as well.

Sennheiser has quite a large range of headphones - so difficult to advise on quality without knowing the model.

My Senns at home are just used on the PC - straight through the onboard audio - it is high-def though. They do sound pretty decent. All my collection is either ripped at 320 MP3, or FLAC. For higher end phones, there is a very noticeable difference between lower and higher bit rate.

When I bought my Shures (~ $800 worth - paid $400 from UK), I reripped my entire collection - simply because the low bitrate music wasn't doing justice to the headphones. At higher bitrates - they are amazing. I now hear things I did not know were there in the music. Even little things like finders sliding on a fret board.

If the headphones are even 'midrange', and your music has a bitrate of 192 or higher, you should notice a difference. Again it depends on the source, the hardware (card/onboard) and the actual headphones themselves.

To give an example - on my portable set-up I started with an ipod nano, and cheapish ($70) set of Sony headphones (music at 192 bitrate). Next tried a set of Sennheisers around the $120 mark. Progressed then to a $200 set of Shures. At that point I reripped the music collection @ 320, sold the nano and bought a better Cowon player. Then finally I ordered the $400 Shures. Could not be happier. Source > Player > Phones - all play a part. HTH.

qazwsxokmijn
31-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks for that Brooko. I never really paid attention to the bitrate of my music collection. Will have to try things out when I get the headphone!

feersumendjinn
31-01-2010, 11:13 AM
http://www.soundstore.co.nz/p-122-sennheiser-hd201-headphones.aspx
These are the headphones you will get from Telecom , bottom of the range, acceptable sound though (to my 59 year old ears), your opinion may differ. :2cents:
(I think I should have gone for the wireless keyboard and mouse). :lol:

qazwsxokmijn
31-01-2010, 07:10 PM
http://www.soundstore.co.nz/p-122-sennheiser-hd201-headphones.aspx
These are the headphones you will get from Telecom , bottom of the range, acceptable sound though (to my 59 year old ears), your opinion may differ. :2cents:
(I think I should have gone for the wireless keyboard and mouse). :lol:
Yeah, I wasn't expecting much from Telecom, not even mid-range. But it's free, and certainly better than my generic speaker and generic earphones.

Would have gone for the wireless kit but I've got a gaming mouse I like too much and don't want to use another mouse.