PDA

View Full Version : FREE Driver update programs

Roger Hunt
30-01-2010, 06:13 PM
could anyone tell me of a program to scan my computer for outdated drivers and either download them or send me to where I can download them. I want one that is free and won't ask me for money after it tells me I have 18 out of date
like the last 3 I have tried. Ta

Speedy Gonzales
30-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Probably be easier and cheaper going to the mobo maker's site. And downloading them

gary67
30-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Unless they don't work why bother?

Roger Hunt
30-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Latest version of Media Player Classic the sound disappears for about 2 seconds every minute or so when I use EVR Renderer so I have to use VMR 7 (windowed) My realtek sound driver is the problem and needs updating and so I thought I would check them all while I was at it.

Speedy Gonzales
30-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Go to the mobo's site if its onboard or the realtek site

blanco
30-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Try DriverMax from:-

http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/

Roger Hunt
31-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Try DriverMax from:-

http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/That was one of the "free" programs that asked for money.
Have put it in the box of things for the nerd to do next time he visits along with my not working fan.

Sweep
31-01-2010, 08:18 AM
That was one of the "free" programs that asked for money.
Have put it in the box of things for the nerd to do next time he visits along with my not working fan.

DriverMax is free but it does nag you to upgrade to a paid version.

blanco
31-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Roger,
I have used DriverMax for about a year
and found it to be a useful tool without paying
for the advanced version, towards which you will
be prompted. D/L the basic version and ignore
any upgrade notices.
Many "free" Downloads, as you will know, are
Sprats to catch a Mackerel and their basic vesions
are not woth having but this one is.

JJJJJ
31-01-2010, 11:17 AM
could anyone tell me of a program to scan my computer for outdated drivers and either download them or send me to where I can download them. I want one that is free and won't ask me for money after it tells me I have 18 out of date
like the last 3 I have tried. Ta

It sounds like you are as frustrated as me, with all the "free" downloads on offer.
The ones that realy get me fuming are registry cleaners. "Do a free scan" are dirty words to me. You know before you start, it is going to find hundreds of "critical errors".
I never bother with driver update searchers. If I'm happy with a driver I keep it. If one gives trouble, do a search on the makers web site.

Roger Hunt
31-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Yes JJJJJ reg cleaners are not a problem as I have CCleaner,Glarys utilities,and the daddy of them all Reg Vac. Reg Vac you have to use with caution as it will stuff your system if not used with care.I have just decided to run the Media Player Classic with the VMR7 Rendering and have the sound complete at the cost of a little picture quality Thank You all for your help and I will download Driver Max again and give it another try.