PDA

View Full Version : Dead laptop no POST, tech says motherboard

lightfoot
27-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Got a laptop that is not POST, no beeps, just power and hdd lights and fan worked for a few seconds, cap lock and number lock lights not worked, swap rams around not worked.

I gave to a tech and he said he did not have a CPU to test it, but said it was the motherboard and the issue be the power surge burnt out the chips or capacitor. My friend said it will be expensive to fix it as it needs expensive tool to resolder these chips. What you think.

gary67
27-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Get a second opinion from a reputable laptop repairer

pctek
28-01-2010, 08:15 AM
I gave to a tech and he said he did not have a CPU to test it, but said it was the motherboard and the issue be the power surge burnt out the chips or capacitor. My friend said it will be expensive to fix it as it needs expensive tool to resolder these chips. What you think.

If it had a power surge, then it's likely to be more than just the Motherboard.
Resolder what chips? You don't resolder anything.

lightfoot
28-01-2010, 08:50 AM
I am inclined to test it myself with another cpu put in. Well if the chip or a component is bad, it has to be replaced. If it is simply taking out and putting a new one in, then it would not be that difficult.

Anyone can suggest how I can test for motherboard failure beside getting anothere cpu to test it?

pctek
28-01-2010, 08:58 AM
It's extremely rare for a CPU to fail.
If you did have over voltage it is likely to have killed several components not just one.

The only way you can test the motherboard is to replace it.
Take it to a laptop repair place or claim it under your insurance.

Agent_24
28-01-2010, 11:41 AM
The power controller IC seems to fail often in laptops. It could be this which has failed (and other parts too)

However these are almost always SMD parts and as someone said, you need expensive tools (hot air rework) if you want to replace these correctly.

A decent repair shop will have these tools but the cost is not cheap, usually because of fault diagnosis and not the actual work itself which can be done fairly quickly.

CYaBro
28-01-2010, 12:07 PM
What is the make/model of the laptop?
If it is a Compaq/HP dv3000 or dv6000 or something like that then chances are it is the mainboard.
Most of those have a known fault with the graphics chip overheating and dieing although HP don't seem to acknowledge the problem with all of them, only some models.

lightfoot
28-01-2010, 08:33 PM
If it is about power, why the fan and hdd light are still going.

Driftwood
28-01-2010, 08:47 PM
What is the make & model?
If you come up with some more information you may get more help.