PDA

View Full Version : Playtech.

Mister
27-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Hey

So I just tried buying something off this website (http://www.playtech.co.nz/), I heard some pretty good things about them aswell.

But once I type my details in I get this message.

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at securegate.zipzap.co.nz.

And when I attempt to e-mail the address PlayTech told me to e-mail. I get this message from Hotmail.

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

Is there something I don't know about? :thumbs:

:thanks

wainuitech
27-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Heard a few people say they are Ok, but their warranty is a rip off.
1 Year Return to Base Warranty ( Upgrade to 3 Years for $99 incl.GST ) All the parts mentioned in the budget PC I looked at come with a 3 year manufactures warranty any way. (with the exception of the case, thats 1 year and possibly 2 on the Optical drive)

Mister
27-01-2010, 09:55 PM
I think I'll just stick with Ascent.

Their payment system just seems so much more simple and easy to use. I can't buy from computer lounge, they decline my card, and playtech. Well the above happens.

trinsic
28-01-2010, 12:26 AM
Heard a few people say they are Ok, but their warranty is a rip off. All the parts mentioned in the budget PC I looked at come with a 3 year manufactures warranty any way. (with the exception of the case, thats 1 year and possibly 2 on the Optical drive)
Store warranty. Stores only have to accept 1 year on parts before its your problem to get it sorted.

pctek
28-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Stores only have to accept 1 year on parts before its your problem to get it sorted.

What rubbish. Show me the law that says that.

JJJJJ
28-01-2010, 08:15 AM
I think I'll just stick with Ascent. .

The correct decision. The best company I've ever dealt with. Delivery within 24 hours and they look after any warranty claims. No arguements.

Roger Hunt
28-01-2010, 09:32 AM
+1 for Ascent they replaced my hard drive and reloaded my operating system free.

sroby
28-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Store warranty. Stores only have to accept 1 year on parts before its your problem to get it sorted.

Tell me why 'store warranty' only honers the 1st year of a (say) 5year(Seagate) or 3year(gigabtye) warranty, when every descent tech company or store gives the full manufacturers warranty.

pablo d
28-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Don't confuse the warranty on the system and the warranty on the individual parts.

In other words, if you take the system in with a generic fault in the first year, their warrantly will cover all parts and labour (if its a warranty issue, i.e. not inflicted damage).

If you take the system in with a generic fault after the first year, you'll be covered under the 2, 3 or 5 year parts warranty (as applicable) but you *may* be charged labour (i.e. time spent diagnosing which part is at fault).

If you identify which part is at fault yourself and return just that part to playtech, then you're covered under the original 2, 3 or 5 year parts warranty (as applicable), with no labour/diagnosing charge on top of that.

Playtech would be doing themselves a favour by wording it better, but that's the nuts and bolts of it.

sroby
28-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Playtech are just making it easy for themselves by only giving a 1 year warranty on this PC.
Understandable considering the low margins involved. Most companies doing 1 year PC warranty WILL NOT give the full warranty of the individual parts(some exceptions of course)
many companies only give 1year on any parts bought separately , no matter what the actual manufacturers warranty is: this is quite common.

edit : just checked their site: its worded perfectly : 1 year
Warranty: 1 Year Return to Base Warranty ( Upgrade to 3 Years for $149 incl.GST )

-not quite in spirit with the CGA, but to be fair can anyone name any company that openly honors the CGA in spirit & or law ??

pctek
28-01-2010, 11:06 AM

If you take the system in with a generic fault after the first year, you'll be covered under the 2, 3 or 5 year parts warranty (as applicable) but you *may* be charged labour (i.e. time spent diagnosing which part is at fault).

Bullshit. Warranty is warranty.
I sell a system and have to diagnose it and it's under warranty, the customer is charged nothing. I give PARTS warranty, not this 1 year crap.

Hardware is covered, software is not. I've asked Playtech this. If you kick up a fuss, they cover it, you don't and they don't bother.

pablo d
28-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Bullshit. Warranty is warranty.
I sell a system and have to diagnose it and it's under warranty, the customer is charged nothing. I give PARTS warranty, not this 1 year crap.

Hardware is covered, software is not.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's at Playtech's discretion as to how long they offer a warranty on *their* workmanship, parts warranties notwithstanding?

I've asked Playtech this. If you kick up a fuss, they cover it, you don't and they don't bother. Like, I said, you *may* get charged labour.

wainuitech
28-01-2010, 01:12 PM
warranty on *their* workmanship That always makes me laugh - workmanship warranty -- If the workmanship is at a certain level when a PC is built, its not like within a year something is going to change.

If the workmanship is shoddy to start with then its not going to get better with age of the PC. OK it may cause a problem later, but generally speaking its not.

And if a component fails 6-8 months down the track, its damn near impossible to prove it was workmanship to blame, unless its something obvious.

pctek
28-01-2010, 01:30 PM
That always makes me laugh - workmanship warranty.

Yes.
You and me, we'll just carry on offering a proper warranty and leave the crap to others.....

pablo d
28-01-2010, 01:45 PM
What's a "proper warranty"? Do you offer full 5 year parts and labour warranties on all the systems you sell?

wainuitech
28-01-2010, 02:00 PM
What's a "proper warranty"? Do you offer full 5 year parts and labour warranties on all the systems you sell? As per Pctek - The parts warranty mostly, if a component has a 1,2, or 5 year warranty, if it fails within that time its replaced - (thats all written in the warranties I give the owner) - no real brainer. Eg: case 1 year, HDD 3 or 5 (depending on what the manufactures have going at the time), optical 2 Year.

As for workmanship -- there is a warranty as such, as mentioned before , I will stand by my work - if its something I do that causes a fault, then I will cover it. If something fails within the warranty, then the warranty covers it. If its a HDD that fails I'll put back the OS only takes 15 minutes from a stock image - but if the person wants data recovered or other programs then its chargeable - Just like Dell, HP etc, they put back a stock factory install nothing more nothing less.

To be honest out of the Hundreds, and I do mean hundreds ( as of 2004 700+ PC's Built I stopped counting) NOT one has ever had a workmanship problem - as they are built to a reasonable / High standard.

You can generally tell the "slap happy" ones, cables all over the place, bad airflow design( cables in bad places) generally untidy inside.

One thing that I ALWAYS do as well, is put in what I call a build sticker on the inside of the case, it has all the info, customers name, job number, date it was built, and what components. You'd be surprised how many people say its on X old - when in fact its quite a bit older.

sroby
28-01-2010, 03:01 PM
What's a "proper warranty"? Do you offer full 5 year parts and labour warranties on all the systems you sell?

Better question, would you be willing to pay the extra $$$$ for all your PC to be
built ONLY with components that have 5 year warranty ?? (including case)

Most people hunt around for the best deals, if the reseller only has a 5% (or less) markup, what warranty would you expect for his $50 markup(NOT profit) on a PC??

Mister
28-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Ok.. Just putting the warranty thing aside for a second.

I'm looking to buy a GTX 295 because my GTX 260 is broken. Playtech, Computer Lounge, and ModsterPC, all don't sell the GTX 295. And Ascent won't have one available for quite awhile.

I was just wondering if there is any other trusted online store I could buy from?

Edit: Unless someone can pursue me to change to ATI :O

narutophantom
28-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Ok.. Just putting the warranty thing aside for a second.

I'm looking to buy a GTX 295 because my GTX 260 is broken. Playtech, Computer Lounge, and ModsterPC, all don't sell the GTX 295. And Ascent won't have one available for quite awhile.

I was just wondering if there is any other trusted online store I could buy from?

I can't seem to find any GTX 295's in stock anywhere. Perhaps they're no longer being manufactured. IMO you should just get a 5970 slightly more expensive but the fastest card in the world currently. Or if you still want nvidia 2 275's cost the same as 295 but yield the same if not slightly better performance. Finally, you could wait for the GTX 300 series to come out later on this year. (make sure to pre-order!)

Good luck

wainuitech
28-01-2010, 07:09 PM
I know last year I tried to get one of those high End cards for a customer - would have had more chance winning Lotto :D

I was told by one of my suppliers NZ are more or less on the bottom of the supply list world wide, even bigger country's are having trouble getting them as the manufactures cant keep up with the demand. Just looked and still no sign of any yet.

Mister
28-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Damn. The 5870 looks quite nice though