PDA

View Full Version : Dell Delivery Times?

too_terestrial
27-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Hey all,

Last week I ordered a "New" (Better hardware than a regular, from what I can see) Studio 17 from Dell. I ordered an paid on Monday via Credit Card, which went through okay. The first (and so far only) email from Dell links me to the order status tracking page, which never changes from;

We have received your order. It may take up to 3 business days for your estimated delivery date to be available. Please check this page again to view your estimated delivery date.

Can anyone who has ordered from Dell in the past give me some idea as to how long it will actually take? I don't think they'll be delivering it in the 9-10 working days parameter that they've set for themselves.

Thanks
-Morgan (An almost disgruntled customer)

wainuitech
27-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Never ordered a Dell myself (I wouldn't) :D But a couple of my customers who wanted dells have always gotten them anywhere from 7 -10 days after the order went through.

Renmoo
27-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Ah, a friend of mine has been through the situation.

You should call them up and check out the real status. Sometimes they need the customers to call in first before they are allowed ship it to your house.

too_terestrial
27-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Okay, Thanks!

@Wainuitech: I didn't think that I would buy Dell either, but then I had a look at the customization options. I had a VERY bad experience with Dell a while back with my Mum's Desktop, which is why I'm a tad worried :/

EDIT;
Just phoned Dell, used their automated tracker and got told that the ETA should be available within the next 48 hours. We'll see about that...

robbyp
27-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Hey all,

Last week I ordered a "New" (Better hardware than a regular, from what I can see) Studio 17 from Dell. I ordered an paid on Monday via Credit Card, which went through okay. The first (and so far only) email from Dell links me to the order status tracking page, which never changes from;

Can anyone who has ordered from Dell in the past give me some idea as to how long it will actually take? I don't think they'll be delivering it in the 9-10 working days parameter that they've set for themselves.

Thanks
-Morgan (An almost disgruntled customer)

I purchased a monitor from them, and it was delivered in about a week.
ALso ordered a laptop, and it was also delivered inside a few weeks, so you should get it in the quoted time. It is coming from Malaysia.
I wouldn't buy another laptop from them again, due to quality issues.
Their ultrasharp monitos though are very good.

prefect
27-01-2010, 03:08 PM
I bought a dell desktop, it turned up in a few days quicker than I expected. Buying a Dell is a relatively painless experience and you can track the order. I think they are air freighted from Peninsula Malaya.

Nomad
27-01-2010, 03:43 PM
I got my LCD in 2 weeks, they give you a tracking number originating from Malaysia.

Nomad
27-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Okay, Thanks!

@Wainuitech: I didn't think that I would buy Dell either, but then I had a look at the customization options. I had a VERY bad experience with Dell a while back with my Mum's Desktop, which is why I'm a tad worried :/

EDIT;
Just phoned Dell, used their automated tracker and got told that the ETA should be available within the next 48 hours. We'll see about that...

In the states many photographers get a Dell. It skips the work re: a custom build. The Dell prices in the states anyway is competitive that you could get faster HDDs and multi core CPUs or even multiple CPUs.

trinsic
27-01-2010, 04:09 PM
I ordered a LCD from them too and got it within two weeks from Australia.

robbyp
27-01-2010, 04:34 PM
In the states many photographers get a Dell. It skips the work re: a custom build. The Dell prices in the states anyway is competitive that you could get faster HDDs and multi core CPUs or even multiple CPUs.

Yes their ultrasharp monitors are superior (in terms of colour reproduction) to many you can buy in the shops.

R2x1
27-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Dell delayed? That's gotta be good! It gives them a chance to get all the crapware in - lead by Nortons of course.
I have a Dell somewhere around - I wish it was still delayed. ;)

Nomad
27-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Yes their ultrasharp monitors are superior (in terms of colour reproduction) to many you can buy in the shops.

Yep, but you can get high end LCDs costing up to the 6 or 8 grands form other vendors.

Dell is one that is nicer within an affordable pricetag. Thou some purist may say the Dell Ultrasharps are crap too and insist you need to pay more ..

1.5yr ago when I built mine, USA photographers liked Dell esp the Studio line ups, cos they have Raptor HDDs, RAID support, multiple core or multiple CPUs...

robbyp
27-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Yep, but you can get high end LCDs costing up to the 6 or 8 grands form other vendors.

Dell is one that is nicer within an affordable pricetag. Thou some purist may say the Dell Ultrasharps are crap too and insist you need to pay more ..

1.5yr ago when I built mine, USA photographers liked Dell esp the Studio line ups, cos they have Raptor HDDs, RAID support, multiple core or multiple CPUs...

Dell in the states I believe are actually assembled in the US, and their paid support is also provided by US call centres. At least they used to be. Dell is a US company, and the US people are very patriotic to their own companies . Wish we were more patriotic to our own companies here too.

too_terestrial
28-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Now here's an interesting development;

Order status; Cancelled

The call center will get a word or two in the morning!

No email or call, just a polite voice when I phone them telling me to contact a representative if I think there has been an error. Is it just me, or are polite voices more aggravating in a situation like this?

Thoughts?

-Morgan (now agravated!)

PS: I will be nice to the call center, I promise! ^-^

wainuitech
28-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Check to see if your payment has been credited back as well.

too_terestrial
29-01-2010, 12:44 AM
Very first thing I did (besides screaming, "WHAT?!"). It hadn't. Wouldn't go through till 6pm anyway.

Metla
29-01-2010, 01:38 AM
Now here's an interesting development;

Order status; Canceled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKnxmkOAj88

too_terestrial
29-01-2010, 06:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKnxmkOAj88

While I can see the funny side, I don't have my money back yet, so, to me, this is not good! :dogeye:

somebody
29-01-2010, 07:23 AM
That's worrying. Both times I've ordered from Dell, the order has been sent to the factory and build started within 24 hours. Both times I received the computer (shipped from Malaysia directly to here) within about 7 working days.

pctek
29-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Order status; Cancelled

Thoughts?

It's fate. Someone is telling you something.

Customisation options??!! You have to be kidding. They give you a limited number of options, no choice in motherboard brand, no choice in case etc etc.

Any decent PC shop will let you customise the entire thing and give you decent after sales service. Dell is notorious for the crap after sales service and you have no control over what brand of parts are used.

Leave it cancelled.

wainuitech
29-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Lookey here - upgrades - This will make all the Difference (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Dell.jpg) :lol:

X2 as to Pcteks advice, could be a blessing in disguise once you get your $$ back.

too_terestrial
29-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Alrighty- You thought the random cancellation was weird?

How about the order coming back online modified?

After reading about similar things happening, I decided to check the status again this morning. Back on track, but still at the pre-assembly stage. After quickly checking through the specs of the delivery, I noticed some... minor... changes.

Originally;

2 x 320Gb HDD
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz
No TV Tuner
Intel WiFi Link 5100

Now;

4 x 500Gb HDD
Intel i7 720QM
Express Card TV Tuner
Dell 1520 802.11n Wifi Card

WTF?!

And if anyone could recommend another brand that could act as a decent desktop replacement, go right ahead. Specific models if you can, please!

-Morgan(Confounded... Or am I...? I don't know any more...)

wainuitech
29-01-2010, 09:12 AM
:waughh: Thats a HUGE difference in spec's - at a guess I'd say they have yours and someone else's order mixed up. Just make sure they haven't charged you extra.

Its easy enough to sort out good components.

"a decent desktop replacement,"

What exactly do you want it to do as well, play games, general day to day guff, Watch TV, LCD and KB/Mouse/ Speakers as well and whats the budget.

Depending where you live you may be able to go into a recommended place and "pick and chose" to your hearts content.

too_terestrial
29-01-2010, 09:29 AM
It doesn't matter now - back to cancelled... >:[

Um, well... I 'd like to use it to develop and play games, as well as regular school work. I Could have gone for a Studio 15, but the small screen put me off. "It's not what you do with it, it's the size that counts" - The Arrogant Worms

And I live in West Auckland :P

too_terestrial
29-01-2010, 10:02 AM
What the hell happened to the edit button...?!

ANYWAY. Just phoned the Call Center - The order number changed, lack of parts - and IT IS NOT CANCELLED! :D And the i7 remains! >:D *FREAKING ECSTATIC*

I'm really jazzed now, but I wonder A) How long will it take now? Will it be delivered on the 4th? and B)How long the 6-cell battery will last >.<

Sweep
29-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Good luck.

You only get 15 minutes to edit a post. Then the button disappears.

wratterus
29-01-2010, 11:10 AM
I wonder A) How long will it take now? Will it be delivered on the 4th? and B)How long the 6-cell battery will last >.<

:D

A) At least a month
B) About 5 mins

wainuitech
29-01-2010, 11:14 AM
A) How long will it take now? Will it be delivered on the 4th ? Yep but 4th of What ?? Feb , March :p

too_terestrial
29-01-2010, 11:41 AM
That's what worries me. If it isn't here or being carried by our "Local Carrier" (Which I assume is CourierPost...) by the 10th, I'm going to cancel it.

Maybe I should start looking at alternatives... :/

somebody
29-01-2010, 06:51 PM
That's what worries me. If it isn't here or being carried by our "Local Carrier" (Which I assume is CourierPost...) by the 10th, I'm going to cancel it.

Maybe I should start looking at alternatives... :/

Ring them, and find out which part they are waiting on - and see if they will upgrade it for free. For one order I placed a few years ago, they'd run out of monitors at the size I'd ordered, so gave me a free upgrade to the next size up which was available.

too_terestrial
29-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. Though I did think parts were the issue, that wouldn't explain the TV tuner or the 2TB of harddrives. Dell surely don't have the capacity to be generous... Do they...? ^-^

From the list earlier, you can clearly see a major shift in the standard of parts.

plod
29-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Face it, you are now getting a pretty good bargain with the upgrades.

somebody
29-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the advice. Though I did think parts were the issue, that wouldn't explain the TV tuner or the 2TB of harddrives. Dell surely don't have the capacity to be generous... Do they...? ^-^

From the list earlier, you can clearly see a major shift in the standard of parts.

I'm not suggesting that's what they did with your order - that was probably a stuffup. You should call them, find out exactly why your order is delayed, and if it's just waiting on one or two parts, ask them (nicely) if they will substitute the part for something else of equal or greater value.

too_terestrial
29-01-2010, 07:45 PM
@Plod: A pretty good bargain, eh? I can see why shipping is free!

@Someone: Oh, my bad. I'll think about it. Though I do get the feeling thatt I've been paid to be quiet...

pctek
29-01-2010, 09:18 PM
And if anyone could recommend another brand that could act as a decent desktop replacement, go right ahead.

There are no BRANDS.
Read this:
http://www.mcs.geek.nz/buy.html

Then go here:

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/systems/systemdetail.asp?systypeid=4

And configure all you like.

Sweep
29-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Of course there are brands. Asus or Asus or Asus or ......................

too_terestrial
29-01-2010, 10:11 PM
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/systems/systemdetail.asp?systypeid=4

And configure all you like.

That's great. One minor problem - not a laptop ^-^
End of that road.

Just out of pure speculation, could Dell have cancelled to give themselves more time? It says on the Estimated Delivery Times Page (Here (http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/ap/topics/main/en/priority_delivery?c=nz&cs=nzdhs1&l=en&s=dhs)) that it will take 9-10 working days. After Dell cancelled my order, the acknowledgement date went to when they cancelled. Conspiracy much?!

Also! The only New Studio 17 Laptop which has an i7 starts at $3099! Some specs are different, mine has 4GB of RAM - theirs has 6, mine has 2TB of space (minus all of the crapware) - theirs has just 1TB (minus all the crapware).

Just for referrence;

Base i7 System (http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/RBIredirect.aspx?rbi=EESJuqJJunKzV5pVrEFOwxUsTFqbi YoXo8pm+P/14HtAKYKeynOwIH3KmEexmicF9a3XXiK3eJmc0P0hEQNaIN7IH 1NEXZhQWhoHusUQzHXGdWEZP1XCsavr2vDyVrfJqK9Hr4VpS5I gEIplRlfmxUhe+/DDXtuiYAUInFU0+BgJUHfDEHzjVUO8cbiV2aC8)
Array of New Studio 17s (http://www1.ap.dell.com/nz/en/home/notebooks/studio-1747/pd.aspx?refid=studio-1747&s=dhs&cs=nzdhs1)

pctek
30-01-2010, 07:41 AM
That's great. One minor problem - not a laptop ^-^]

OK:

LaPTOPS
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?parttypeid=32&t=14

too_terestrial
30-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Unfortunately, now the Dell seems like an even better deal! Just under $2K for an i7 and 2TB. Whereas Computer Lounge's closest system (more or less the same, but with less storage capacity) costs just under $3K. I will admit, I do like Asus. My desktop has a fair amount of Asus in it.

I heard about Dell understocking on i7s a wee while ago. Could the i7 of mine be the result of them stocking up on i7s and not stocking up on Duos? Even though they have dedicated part manufacturers all around their assembly lines... :/

somebody
30-01-2010, 11:22 AM
I heard about Dell understocking on i7s a wee while ago. Could the i7 of mine be the result of them stocking up on i7s and not stocking up on Duos? Even though they have dedicated part manufacturers all around their assembly lines... :/

They do everything JIT - the whole process is very impressive, and it means they keep virtually zero stock of parts in their warehouses.

too_terestrial
30-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Hm... Weird. I read something that documented the whole process. Trucks come to the assembly line every couple of hours with parts that Dell requested, and each have a unique number. The parts are put in their designated bin (based on order number, I believe) and assembled within a few hours of reaching the line. That being said, where the hell is my machine? I could just drive around town for half an hour, get the parts and assemble it in under another half an hour! But Dell apparently have trained monkeys that take forever to build and ship it.

Just-in-time my ass. I should have my machine by Monday if what they say is correct.

too_terestrial
31-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Okay, so not Monday, but it IS coming! Manufacturing Build Complete!

Said to be delivered on the 8th! Hopefully I'll see it before then, and then I'll run Everest on it to see if they have given me those upgrades!

This has been an interesting story, and thank you all for listening to my bitching about Dell! But now, I don't know... I used to hate Dell, they might not be so bad after all. ^-^

But, what would be better? A slower quad core (the i7 @1.6GHz) or a faster Dual core (Core 2 duo @ 2.53GHz)?