PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Burning Smell, while charging



Sennyjen
27-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Hi,

Am a student in Auckland.


My laptop suddenly heated up and turned off. I switched it on after 10 minutes and it worked perfect, watched movie... sounds and picture all was good.. It was not on charging at that time

but next day i put my laptop on charging it turned off. i started it again without inserting charger cable it started perfectly but whenever i insert pin ti laptop to charge, it turns off and gives a burning smell on charging point of laptop.

Now because laptop has no battery, its not turning on. I taken to an laptop repair shop too and that expert told me that charger is working fine. Then he checked laptop from inside(some mother board
and all) he said audio, video carts are burnt and other things.. too

If audio and video cart was burnt then how cud i watched movie and listen songs.. i did that all before laptop shut down bcz of low battery...

Please suggest me some solution.. am overseas , cant take my laptop from where i bought :(

Am in south auckland-----

Renmoo
27-01-2010, 02:07 PM
1) Do you still retain the proof-of-purchase? Quite often the manufacturer of your laptop has branches all over the world. If there is one in New Zealand and if it is still within the warranty period, you can get your laptop serviced over there.

2) Stop using your laptop for now until it is fixed.

3) Burned audio card? Not really a big issue as there as generic USB plug-in ones available in the market very cheaply. As for the video card.... ouch.

[Edit]: Am in South Auckland or overseas? Confused

<white>Piracy is bad - it brings bad karma</white> :p

Sennyjen
27-01-2010, 03:01 PM
No its not in warrenty period...

ist HCL laptop, so o branch in NZ... do i need to get fixed something with motherboard..

Apologies for confusion, am in south auckland now...

wainuitech
27-01-2010, 03:41 PM
You could always ring The Laptop Company (http://www.laptop.co.nz/map.asp?location=1) - I know Here in Wellington they are quite good, they deal with just about all brands.

sroby
27-01-2010, 04:21 PM
"gives a burning smell"
"Then he checked laptop from inside he said audio, video carts are burnt and other things.. too"

sounds pretty straight forward to me. Burning smell + dead = burnt parts
I think you may not have understood what the tech said perhaps?? no separate audio card in laptops. But may be visable damage across the motherboard.

My guess is its burnt out where the power socket is inside the laptop.

Renmoo
27-01-2010, 05:17 PM
How long have you been using the laptop? If it is more than three years, perhaps you might want to consider purchasing a new one instead?

Driftwood
27-01-2010, 08:26 PM
I would agree with sroby.
I've seen several like that.
Where the power socket is soldered to the motherboard.

Poppa John
27-01-2010, 08:47 PM
I would agree with sroby.
I've seen several like that.
Where the power socket is soldered to the motherboard.

He needs to go to someone he can trust. It may well be the plug/socket. Any techs in Auckland willing to give the guy a few minutes of time? PJ

sroby
28-01-2010, 11:15 AM
He needs to go to someone he can trust. It may well be the plug/socket. Any techs in Auckland willing to give the guy a few minutes of time? PJ

The problem here is then time needed to open a notebook case, inspect & diag.
NOT a 5minute job. (Some laptops seem to have been designed just to make repairs as difficult as possible) :annoyed:
The power socket can be removed & replaced with a wire & external socket to replace the faulty power socket , it looks really mickymouse, but this works & issometimes the only realistic solution. Again this may require the laptop to be completely stripped & m/b removed to get the required access to faulty power socket, it takes a bit of time.
Notebooks arnt designed for easy repairs.

Unfortunately, burning smell in this case means NO EASY REPAIR & no parts available.
I would guess that the original tech probably new what he was doing. May have been that cust wanted a long winded explaination that tech didnt have time for. This happens: 10-15 minutes wasted when cust wont listen to recommendations or fault diag & just wants to argue the point (good example is trying to convince customers that corrupted Norton needs to be removed & not reinstalled).
There may be more to his conversations with the tech we dont know about.. :badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

getting off topic a bit I guess

Sennyjen
29-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for suggestions and dont get off the topic. Just let me know

1) Can i charge my laptop battery with any external resource... ??

2) How to use laptop hard drive to other laptop?

May be silly questions but am not so technical..thats why seeking guidence from experts on this forum :)

Driftwood
29-01-2010, 12:36 PM
If you can post the model number, someone may be able to help you further.
Or you can look on google yourself.
The tech who looked at it for you should be able to advise you regarding saving data from it.

sroby
29-01-2010, 03:49 PM
You will probhably need the same type of laptop to charge the batt

You would just want to recover data from the Hard Drive, windows allmost
certainly wont run FROM of this drive if you put in another laptop as is.
You can format the drive and use it in another laptop, or put it in a usb HD case to get the data off it yourself.