PDA

View Full Version : Devide network

nedkelly
27-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Hey I was wondering is there any way that I can have 2 wireless adapters running in my house and one have full access to internet and network while the second can only access the internet but not the local network?

Speedy Gonzales
27-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Untick file sharing on one of them. Or change one of the workgroup names

fred_fish
27-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Should be pretty easy.
Set the net-only one to give out DHCP leases on a different subnet.

For the net & lan one turn off the DHCP server and let clients get the IP from your router, so they will be in the same pool as wired clients.

This 'should' isolate the net-only clients from the other subnet by way of having no route to it. There may be a bit more required, but it depends on your router.

nedkelly
27-01-2010, 11:33 AM
ok well my router is one of the wireless points

fred_fish
27-01-2010, 11:51 AM
So, add a second one, plug it into your existing one, give it an IP on another subnet and a gateway of your original router. Set the DHCP server (on the new one) for that same subnet.

It 'may' be possible for net-only clients to access machines on the LAN by IP address (if they know or guess them) but it depends on how both routers handle the routing (if you can add an invalid static route for the LAN subnet into the net-only router, it would prevent this).
Again, this depends on the capabilities of the router.

If you wanted it to be a bit more robust & configurable you could use an old pc (486 with no HDD would do) and run something like FREESCO (http://www.freesco.info/) to give you true multi-subnet routing & firewalling (as well as more network services than you could shake a stick at)

razzarphenix
27-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Get an AP that supports "wireless isolation" this firewalls off the wireless network on that AP from the rest of the network and only lets them have access to the default gateway (internet).

nate
27-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Tomizone supports having two SSIDs (http://www.tomizone.com/hotspot_owners) on one access point:

Certain Tomizone Enabled Routers offer Dual identifiers (SSIDs) giving you two networks in one box a private secure network for your use and a second open public network for the Tomizone Hotspot that people pay to use.

razzarphenix
27-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Further to Nate's post any router that can be flashed with openwrt and its variants can also have multiple SSD's.

SolMiester
27-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Yip, got a netcomm N wireless router last week, supports 4 wireless SSID's