PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of 'Proxy Http'?

07-08-2001, 10:12 AM
Unfortunately, last year I downloaded the free program Netsetter, which is supposed to speed up surfing web pages. This was a mistake because I am not convinced that it did in fact increase the speed, but worse of all I am having a terrible time getting rid of it. There is no 'uninstall', no directions on how to get rid of it, no repsonse from their support desk, and I have spent over an hour sifting through the Registry and removing all bits relating to Netsetter. I finally found the '.exe' program, hidden away in Windows/System as 'nscheck'.

Anyway, I was confident that my system was free of Netsetter, but I notice that when first connecting to the Net (using IE5), at the bottom left of the screen there appears 'Connecting to Proxy Http' - which I believe indicates the Netsetter server.

How do I get rid of this proxy http thing and surf normally? I have 3 cookie eliminator programs (WebWasher, Cookie Monster, and a PC mag program) but none of them work because - I believe - of the Netsetter proxy over-riding the cookie control programs. Thanks for your assistance!

07-08-2001, 10:28 AM
I.E may still be configured to download all traffic via a proxy server, netcheck. To reset this, go to the control panel and open the Internet Options applet. Select the connections tab and click the Local Area Network settings. To download directly from the internet uncheck the box to use a proxy server. To use your cookie eliminator programs you may have to reconfigure your proxy to use these programs (check program readme's for how to do this)..

07-08-2001, 11:08 AM
Thanks Tristan. I had to go one step further: Connections / Settings (after selecting my ISP - I have 5 of them). That is, I had to select each ISP and then uncheck the automatic proxy setting for each one. Hmmmnnn... although I did this, I notice that it STILL connects via the Netsetter proxy; hope that I just need to reboot to get the new settings. Otherwise I will uninstall IE and reinstall (a newer version). Cheers - Steve