PDA

View Full Version : XFX GTS250 heat problems

Camiron
25-01-2010, 11:44 PM
I got my card a few months back, but the other day when i was playing Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising......my screen froze up, and the game crashed. I got that horrible screen that looks all pixelated and like its just been fried, but i can still play games, so it cant of fried totally......I now have 3 extra fans coolong my card (both of them are 80mm fans i had lying around) 1 is blowing cool air at the cards onboard cooling fan, and another is sucking out hot air through the sli connection hole, while the 3rd is sucking hot air out the back of the pc through the vent on the card.

My question is....would a custom cooling fan do a better job?
or should i cut my losses and get a new card?

I am running Coretemp so i can monitor the cpu temps, and speed fan so i can monitor the gpu temp....the cpu temp never gets above 46C...even while im gaming and the core's are at full 100% usage....but the gpu gets up to 69-74C

These are my system specs:
AMD Athlon64x2 4200+ 2.2Ghz Socket AM2 CPU
2Gb (4x 512Mb twin kit) PC2-6400 DDR2-800 dual channel RAM
XFX GTS 250 GeForce PCI-E video card
500W (600W Peak) iCute AP-600AS modular plug edition power supply
MS WINDOWS XP PRO OEM
Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 (rev. 1.0) SLI Socket AM2 Motherboard
Gigabyte GZ-XX1CA-SNB Triton ATX mid tower case (No psu) (Black)

320Gb Seagate ST3320620AS SATA II/I 3Gb/s HDD (16MB Cache) 7200 RPM
Samsung Sp2004C SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD (8MB Cache)7200 RPM
WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B0 SATA 3 Gb/s (16MB Cache)7200 RPM
WDC WD800AAJS-00WAA0 SATA 3 Gb/s (8MB Cache)7200 RPM
HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.B HDT721025SLA380 (0A38006) 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s7200 RPM

20.1" Chimei/CMV T38DS LCD Monitor (silver)
17" Neovo F-417
Liteon iHAS324-32Y SATA DL DVD Burner

Camiron
25-01-2010, 11:53 PM
I also have another problem......just recently I installed my dvd butner, and it kept on crashing my pc....so i went to reinstall windows onto another drive so i didnt loose all my info.....but all i had lying around was a not so legit version of xp.....yes i know, i know, but as my copy has been installed on most of my families pc's, ive run out of installss......and have to ring up windows to get a install code.

my problem is that when ever my pc crashes or restarts, it loads up a new profile....ie....I have the Administrator account, and 1 called Camiron.....after the pc has reloaded, there is now the 2 above, and another called Administrator.001.....if i restart my pc, then look in docs & settings there is now the 3 above and Administrator.002.
I have to do a restore point and get it back to a point before the other accounts have been created, and once its loaded properly, i just delete the other accounts.........but how can i stop it creating a new account every time it restarts?

I am desperately looking around for a legit copy of xp.....and install over the top of the not so legit copy.

It was running fine (for about a month) up until a few days ago....when it got an update from windows, restarted and created a new account.

qazwsxokmijn
25-01-2010, 11:54 PM
74 degrees is perfectly normal for GPUs. I'm more inclined to think it's a driver issue. Try completely removing the current driver with CCleaner and installing the latest driver from Nvidia's website.

Camiron
26-01-2010, 12:17 AM
ive tried that, another friend suggested that, plus ive tried with the latest drivers from xfx.....ive had the same results from each site.....buth nvidia, and xfx

qazwsxokmijn
26-01-2010, 12:51 AM
XFX don't make the drivers. Nvidia does. XFX just host the drivers/link it from their site.

I guess bad memory chips or even faulty GPU can cause your game to go cuckoo. Have you got another PC you can try the video card on? Or another video card to rule out any other PC components/software problems.

Agent_24
26-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Doubt it's a heat issue, any GPU should run fine at 74 degrees. Overheating video RAM on the other hand might have issues.

Or anything that's marginal could have issues when heated up.

I would be suspicious about the PSU, I don't know if iCute are one of the reliable brands...

Could also be a driver issue like qazwsxokmijn said.

Funny though that you keep getting new user profiles, I don't know what that could be related to, but it might be caused by something else like system RAM issues.

Try downloading and running Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org, let it run a few passes.

Camiron
26-01-2010, 01:26 AM
no, but i am saving to upgrade my mb and cpu.......will just hope it stays ok long enough for me to get the new components.
it only does it sometimes....sometimes i can play several different games in a day (cod4, cod world at war, cod modern warfare 2, and op-dragon rising........and sometimes with no warning it crashes.....ive tried loading up everything with everst4 (a bencmarking program) and it comes back fine, then i run it again, and it comes back with problems....but never the same problems with the same hardware pieces.
its the dreaded intermittent bug

trinsic
26-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Send the GPU in for an RMA as from the looks of things the RAM on it has gone south.

Camiron
26-01-2010, 02:15 AM
what is a RMA??
and where can i send my card to get one?

gary67
26-01-2010, 06:37 AM
RMA means return to manufacturer, where did you buy it from?

Camiron
26-01-2010, 02:22 PM
right, thanks....now i just need another card till i get this one fixed....as my mb doesn't have onboard graphics....lol

Camiron
12-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Hey all, thanks for all your help.
I got my card back aon the 23rd March, they couldn't find any faults.....lol

Well, I un-installed the video card that I was using as a replacement, using Ccleaner, and installed the drivers that came with the card, and after I restarted, my pc crashed.

So i unstalled those drivers and got the latest ones from nVidia, and after I restarted, my pc crashed....lol

So I got in contact with PP (where I bought the card) and they sent me out a replacement, and after I installed the software that came with the card, and its been running ever since....wooot! It hasn't crashed once.

I just noticed today....lol....observant I know....that they sent me out the next model up from what I had in the first place............I will be emailing them to tell them tomorrow....and hopefully I wont have to send this card back, for a replacement....lol

Agent_24
12-04-2010, 11:07 PM
I still would be suspicious of that PSU...

SolMiester
12-04-2010, 11:19 PM
System lockups and restarts are probably corrupting the user hive and therefore you keep getting new profiles....

Camiron
12-04-2010, 11:21 PM
ok, and am looking to upgrade soon, new mb/cpu and ram
so should look at getting another psu aswell