PDA

View Full Version : Using Regedit & Config (saved) Files in Win98

07-08-2001, 10:04 AM
Having just read the TIPs on this page for Win98, I notice that the config files and registry files can be backed up using Windows 98 features. OK, fine, but now that we Win98 users can back up these files, how do we use them? That is, what is the purpose for backing up the Config and Registry files?

My guess is that if Windows develops a glitch and becomes unstable, we could simple go and backtrack to the saved Registry and Config files that we backed up. Correct? It has always been my understanding that we could not do this in Win98, only with Windows ME.

BTW, I do have Norton's System Works, which I use to backtrack the system in case something goes askew. However, many Win98 users do not have extra software like Norton's and it would be nice to tell them how to backtrack to a stable registry setting. Thanks.

07-08-2001, 03:54 PM
The win98 one only backs up the registry etc, where as the winME one backs up data as well which is why it keeps your hdd so busy.

To restore on win98, goto dos mode and run 'scanreg'.
It will ask about a making a backup, then list all the backups currently installed.