PDA

View Full Version : Old computer problem

zqia014
25-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Hi all

Old computer, P4 3.0Ghz, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb Hdd (Windows XP) and a 250Gb Hdd, X1950 Pro graphics card, ASUS MB, Thermaltake 430W PSU.

Computer has been running perfectly for almost 5 years without the need of a reformat, but these days age seems to be catching up with it.

Anyway here's the problem, hopefully someone can help me out.

2 days ago I heard a "KZZZZ" noise from the hard drive area, computer completely froze. Restarted, but it did not detect any of the harddrives. So I unplugged the power, waited a few minutes, and the computer managed to detect the secondary harddrive. I then took the battery out of the motherboard, waited a few minutes, after that all harddrives were ok.

I thought it might have been a power surge, so I bought a surge protector.

But it happened again today, the same noise, same solution, waited a few minutes and restarted, was ok after that.

Any ideas what the problem could be? This did happen maybe 2 years ago, I think twice as well, or 3 times, but back then I simply restarted and it was ok.

Thanks for any suggestions.

PPp
25-01-2010, 07:33 PM
How long since you cleaned it? sounds like maybe the PSU is overheating/shorting from gunge. be very careful if this is so, undischarged capacitors can give you a really bad shock. Leave the computer unplugged overnight before cleaning. if you open the PSU box play safe and don't touch anything. A can of compressed air should do the job. You may be able to do this from outside the box putting the plastic straw through the slots.

Paul.Cov
25-01-2010, 08:05 PM
It's worth unplugging and re-plugging each end of your data ribbon cable, as a bad contact there could explain your issues with both drives, if they're both on the same cable.

As for it being an 'old' computer, at 3GHz - I cringe reading that. I'm here on a W98 machine with 1/6th the CPU speed and 1/4 the RAM. THat's an old computer. Yours is something to envy... if you can get it working! Must have cost a bundle to get those specs 5 years ago!

zqia014
25-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Been a long time since I cleaned the PSU itself, otherwise the rest of the case is fairly clean, with a little dust.

Will give it a thorough clean and replug everything, PSU fans are going.

I see no reason to upgrade since I don't play any system intensive games. Actually my computer runs a lot faster than most of my friend's much newer computers, as it is very well maintained.

Speedy Gonzales
25-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Are the hdds IDE or SATA?? Have you tried different IDE cables if theyre IDE? Are you in NZ or somewhere else?

zqia014
25-01-2010, 09:01 PM
IDE. Have not tried different cables, but will do. in NZ

wainuitech
25-01-2010, 09:13 PM
While You're checking the IDE cables, unplug the Power/Molex as well, give them a blow out and put back, making sure they are in firm. A lose power connection can also cause "funny thing s to happen".

Speedy Gonzales
25-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Hmm you in Auckland city? If you are, I could check it out. Have you had 2 hdd's in the case for 5 yrs tho?? If you havent, did you jumper them properly?

pctek
26-01-2010, 07:18 AM
2 days ago I heard a "KZZZZ" noise from the hard drive area, computer completely froze. Restarted, but it did not detect any of the harddrives. So I unplugged the power, waited a few minutes, and the computer managed to detect the secondary harddrive. I then took the battery out of the motherboard, waited a few minutes, after that all harddrives were ok.

But it happened again today, the same noise, same solution, waited a few minutes and restarted, was ok after that.

I would say either the PSU or as it seems to be both drives, the motherboard.
What brand PSU is it?

zqia014
30-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the offer Speedy Gonzales. I will try to clean everything today, including PSU and see how it goes.

It is a Thermaltake 430W

pctek
30-01-2010, 01:29 PM
It is a Thermaltake 430W
Ah, a nasty exaggerated-wattage piece of ****.
Get yourself a 400w Corsair.