PDA

View Full Version : Enable digital CD audio greyed out.

07-08-2001, 02:06 AM
I've had a lot of trouble with my computer recently, all caused by having to install a Promise Ultra ATA 100 TX2 to get an extra IDE for a new Sony CD-RW.
Somewhere along the way I've lost the ability to play digital CD audio. Multimedia properties has greyed out the option, and Windows Media player says its using analog.

It used to work fine.
Over the last few days I've installed Adaptec Easy CD 4.02 and Cyberlink Power Dvd 3.0, reinstalled Windows 98 and DirectX.
Device manager says there are no problems.
System is
Win98 SE
Pentium 3 450 Mhz
Intel 440 BX-2 mobo
256 Megs RAM
2 Hard drives
Creative DVD (which plays DVD's OK)
Sony CD RW (which writes OK)

Some startup items are disabled to avoid blue screens caused by the Promise card, but none of them seem to involve CD functions. Anyone got any ideas?
cheers
AJ

07-08-2001, 02:55 PM
I don't actually use the digital out on my cdrom, but I know it uses a seperate cable, like the analoge cable.
Have you checked its connected right?

07-08-2001, 03:26 PM
hi AJ

Madness. You still haven't got that piece of junk going yet? (Promise ATA100) I though they looked quite good, but I'm not gonna touch one of those things after reading about the probs they cause. Did you ever get a BIOS update for your motherboard? I couldn't live with a system with disabled devices, I'd rather kick seven shades of daylight outta it (and I have in the past.. temper temper) This is not a very constructive post I know, but I had to say something...

26-08-2001, 10:54 PM
I am having the same problem with my system.
I dont think I have actually touched the inside of my comp but I can no longer play digital audio. Looking at the CD drive there is a analog (4 pin) cable running to my sound card (soundblaster live value). There is a digital out from the cd-rw (2 pin)
But there is no cable and no where on the sound card for one to go :/