PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card not turning on.

Mister
25-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Hey

So today I removed all my components from my computer, gave them a quick clean with some compressed air, replaced Thermal Grease and installed a new CPU heatsink. Now everything's back in place all cords are in, but my video card doesn't turn on. At all. The fan doesn't spin either. I get no picture on my monitor.

My video card is the Gigabyte GTX 260, and was working fine this morning. Every things plugged in like usual. Two 2 pin connecters that go from the PSU to the video card are in.

Could my video card be broken for some reason?

I handled it with card, using an anti static strap.

Any ideas?

Thanks

trinsic
25-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Does your system have onboard video and can you confirm the rest of the system working?

Also I think you mean two 6-pin PCI-e plugs :D

Mister
25-01-2010, 12:36 PM
my Mobo is the ASUS P5P43TD. It may have one, but I don't have the right cord to connect from the monitor to the Mobo.

And yeah. Those things.

trinsic
25-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Nope no onboard video on that motherboard.

Do you have the 4-pin 12v plugged into the motherboard?

Mister
25-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Yeap :S

trinsic
25-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Does the rest of the system POST? If not it could be a shorting issue preventing the system from starting.

I'd probably take the whole thing out of the case and do a bare minimum start up (Motherboard/CPU/GPU/PSU/RAM).

Mister
25-01-2010, 12:50 PM
What do you mean by POST?

I'll try do a bare minimum start now.

Edit: Nope still doesn't work.

trinsic
25-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I mean does the rest of the system try starting even without the GPU running? HDD's other fans etc.

Mister
25-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Oh. Yeah. All that works.

pctek
25-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Could my video card be broken for some reason?

I handled it with card, using an anti static strap.

It could. What was the anti-static strap connected to?

wratterus
25-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Tried resetting the BIOS? Does the PC beep is the RAM is removed?

Mister
25-01-2010, 02:15 PM
It was connected to the case.

I can't see anything onscreen, how would I go about resetting the BIOS?

wratterus
25-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Below the CMOS battery (lower right) there should be a blue jumper, short out the pin that's free with that jumper (eg removed the jumper from 1 and 2 and put it on 2 and 3, then put it back on 1 and 2). Switch off or unplug the PSU while doing that.

Does your PC normally beep when it POSTS? If not, you may not have a speaker which would explain the no beep when the RAM was removed. If it does, things aren't looking too good for the board. :(

See razzar's post below for next step...

Mister
25-01-2010, 02:17 PM
I took the RAM out and I got no beep.

razzarphenix
25-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Disconnect anything unnecessary to access bios (HDD, DVD Drive etc..) reseat RAM, Graphics Card, if that doesn't work and you lifted the cpu take it out again and check you didn't bend a pin or something accidentally, reseat the ATX power connector. If the motherboard has on-board video temporarily use that after removing the graphics card to see if the system at least posts fine.

If you have multiple Memory sticks try using just one (and try alternating just in case your using the bad one).

Mister
25-01-2010, 02:24 PM
I've never heard a beep from the MOBO before. But if it is the board, how come everything else works, except the video card?

wratterus
25-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I've never heard a beep from the MOBO before. But if it is the board, how come everything else works, except the video card?

OK, so you probably don't have a speaker, no worries there.

That can be a symptom of a faulty board, CPU, RAM or graphics card, they all behave in different ways, however we don't know which one has the issues yet, or if anything does. Follow all the instruction is razzar's post and post back with the results.

Mister
25-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Ok. Done what Razzar said, the CPU looks normal, except for the wet thermal grease.

But same things, got no response from the video card.

Agent_24
25-01-2010, 02:52 PM
What was the compressed air from?

If it was too high pressure, you can knock some SMD parts right off the board with it.

Mister
25-01-2010, 02:53 PM
What was the compressed air from?

If it was too high pressure, you can knock some SMD parts right off the board with it.

It is.. CRC Air Brush from Dick Smith Eletronics

Mister
25-01-2010, 04:18 PM
tried reassembling comuter. Still same things.

So new Mobo or Video card.. Or both:dogeye:

wratterus
25-01-2010, 04:23 PM
You've definitely plugged the 4 pin +12v yellow and black cable from the PSU to the mobo in?

It would be good if you could take your graphics card to a mates or a PC shop so it could be tested.

Mister
25-01-2010, 04:34 PM
You've definitely plugged the 4 pin +12v yellow and black cable from the PSU to the mobo in?

It would be good if you could take your graphics card to a mates or a PC shop so it could be tested.

Mmm most of my mates use laptops now.. Although one friend has a pretty old desktop I might be able to try..

Agent_24
25-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Air from a can? That should be OK. It's the stuff from a real air compressor that can be too high pressure.

Are you sure the graphics card is correctly seated in the slot? Some of them can seem to be in but aren't actually, and the large coolers block you from seeing that they are actually halfway sticking out.

Is the graphics card fan plug still attached?

Mister
25-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Oh here's a lil update.

After leaving my PC on for around 10 minutes. I felt the back of my video card and it's hot. But with no fan, I'll have to turn it off soon.

Mister
25-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Air from a can? That should be OK. It's the stuff from a real air compressor that can be too high pressure.

Are you sure the graphics card is correctly seated in the slot? Some of them can seem to be in but aren't actually, and the large coolers block you from seeing that they are actually halfway sticking out.

Is the graphics card fan plug still attached?

Yeah, I've reattached the card 3 times now. It's sitting like usual.

I'll have to open my card up to check if the card fan plug is in, because my card is in like a shell thing.

wratterus
25-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I'll have to open my card up to check if the card fan plug is in, because my card is in like a shell thing.

Careful - is the card under warranty still? Doing this will more than likely void any warranty. Even if the fan isn't going, the card should still work (until it overheats)

Mister
25-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Careful - is the card under warranty still? Doing this will more than likely void any warranty.

I bought off Ascent.co.nz.

This is off their FAQ

The item is faulty. Can I just get a refund?

If the fault is reported within the 10 day period (or 30 days if VIP), yes you can have a refund (or a credit if you prefer). If it is outside that period, then the item will be replaced or repaired.

wratterus
25-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Yeah, they will replace or fix it if it's under warranty.

How old is the card? What brand is it? Asus and Gigabyte have 3 year warranties, everything else has a minimum of a year, often 2 years.

Only problem at the mo is you still don't know what's faulty. Can you get hold of another card to test in the PC?

It could potentially be PSU, CPU, RAM, Motherboard or Graphics Card, or a combination of any of the above.

Mister
25-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Yeah, they will replace or fix it if it's under warranty.

How old is the card? What brand is it? Asus and Gigabyte have 3 year warranties, everything else has a minimum of a year, often 2 years.

Only problem at the mo is you still don't know what's faulty. Can you get hold of another card to test in the PC?

It could potentially be PSU, CPU, RAM, Motherboard or Graphics Card, or a combination of any of the above.

I got it about 9-10 months ago. It's the gigabyte one.

I'll try get it into a shop or test it on some other parts.

Thanks

wratterus
25-01-2010, 05:14 PM
All good - the board will be under warranty too.

Mister
25-01-2010, 05:50 PM
So just to clarify, you recomend seeing if I can return the Mobo and Video card after testing them?

This also could be a good excuse to get me a new GTX 295 :cool:

wratterus
25-01-2010, 05:53 PM
You need to find which part(s) are faulty first, no point returning a part that's not faulty.

trinsic
26-01-2010, 01:39 AM
You need to find which part(s) are faulty first, no point returning a part that's not faulty.
I'd probably return the GPU, if its hot and its fan is not running then it sounds pretty fudged.

Mister
26-01-2010, 02:56 AM
I'd probably return the GPU, if its hot and its fan is not running then it sounds pretty fudged.

That's kinda what I see. I don't really see how the CPU or Mobo is affecting the fan. The PSU maybe.

But then again I'm to to flash at this computer stuff :cool:

Agent_24
26-01-2010, 09:37 AM
You should be able to take it back on the grounds that the fan doesn't work.

I wonder if it's possible though to blow the fan plug out of the socket with compressed air (or break something)

It should still work, however, but maybe they have added some circuitry that causes the card not to work in the event of a fan failure, so forcing you to turn your PC off and check and discover the problem. Would be a sensible idea...

trinsic
27-01-2010, 12:18 AM
It should still work, however, but maybe they have added some circuitry that causes the card not to work in the event of a fan failure, so forcing you to turn your PC off and check and discover the problem. Would be a sensible idea...
ATi had the great idea of putting a 80dB alarm on the card in the case that you forgot to plug in the PCI-e plugs.

:eek:

Agent_24
27-01-2010, 12:30 AM
I got blasted with one of those on a Radeon 9800XT when I forgot the auxiliary power connector :lol:

Strangely enough, in the event of a loud screeching noise emanating from the PC, my first thought was NOT
"I forgot to plug something in" !!

More like "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! *dive at power cord* *expect smoke*"

Mister
27-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Heh.. Sent in a return request to ascent, will probably hear from them tomorow.