PDA

View Full Version : Tablet vs.Speed? Is it worth the cost?

adslgeek
25-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Hey there,

I work in an office, and was set to get a new laptop, and I was thinking that a tablet might be really helpful for meetings and scribbling down my notes / brainstorming / mindmapping etc.

But the price difference means that this convenience would mean I miss out on the top processing power and RAM..

What do you guys think I should do?

Cheers,
ADSLGeek

adslgeek
25-01-2010, 10:34 AM
The choice is between:
- HP 2710p Tablet 1.86kg 1.8GHz 4GB Ram 120G Drive 12.1"
- HP 2730p Tablet 1.86kg 1.8GHz 4GB Ram 120G Drive 12.1"
- Lenovo T400 Laptop 2.4kg 2.4GHz 8GB Ram 160G Drive 14.1"

I do a lot of big data set analysis, but I must admit it would be so helpful to brainstorm and map out work flows etc, using the tablet interface etc.

icow
03-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Get an iPad when they come out. Problem solved.

pkm
03-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Actually, I dont think the problem will be solved, because you can only use apple approved apps from their store. Id use the hp tablets.

fred_fish
03-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Actually, I dont think the problem will be solved, because you can only use apple approved apps from their store. Id use the hp tablets.
And only one at a time....:eek:

icow
03-02-2010, 05:52 PM
But seriously: The lenovo seems to be the better computer for the job. It's more powerful but the main reason I'd get one is the bigger screen. The only downside to them is they're heaver than the HP ones.

icow
03-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Umm... JAIL BREAK IT. Effectively it's a really big iPhone so someones going to work out how to do it.

icow
03-02-2010, 05:55 PM
And whats wrong with the app store.

beeswax34
03-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Cos there's nothing really productive in there.

Get a HP one, they're actually decent tablets.

somebody
03-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Umm... JAIL BREAK IT. Effectively it's a really big iPhone so someones going to work out how to do it.

You shouldn't have to. You own the device, you should be able to install whatever you damn well like without circumventing the restrictions on the OS. Also, with a huge proportion of websites dependent on Adobe Flash, not having that functionality on a device is very restricting.

Remember that adslgeek is after a business device - hence the use of a pen is probably useful. A real tablet supports adults who have grown up beyond the fingerpainting stage in their life, and want to use a pen to write down notes, draw diagrams, etc - something you can't do (easily) on a capacitive touch screen.

adslgeek: I know an interior designer/consultant who has a Lenovo tablet, and she uses it for jotting down notes or demoing things to her clients - being able to hold it while standing up and interacting with it using a pen is a lot easier for her than holding a normal laptop, as it means she can walk around rooms or houses with her client while using it. She likes it, however says it is a bit heavy to be carrying around all the time. If you're unlikely to be carrying it around for extended periods of time, then it's probably fine.

Sweep
03-02-2010, 06:43 PM

Fine. Do that.

Then get everything to work as you could find that the iStore won't let you get anything for some reason.

Much like the Xbox possibly.

gary67
04-02-2010, 05:46 AM

It's a kids toy, seriously they should only be sold at ToysRus they are that crap if anyone thinks it's a real computer they need major :help:

baabits
04-02-2010, 06:13 AM
What will be the real killer is if Apple manages to pull off a 3G data plan deal with vodafone or telecom like they did with AT&T. Now might be the time for either one to jump now that 2degrees are getting set to release their 3G Network and Data Plans.

I'd wait for the ipad and see if it brings anything new. It looks like an amazing device, and would be perfect for the type of tasks you've said you want to do- Check out the media event on apples website or youtube and watch steve jobs demo it. :punk

SolMiester
04-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Our CEO wants to get a tablet, but so far I have managed to avoid having to buy one for him. While I think in the right circumstances the tablet is great, but if not, they are just another slow laptop....

utopian201
04-02-2010, 08:56 AM
The choice is between:
- HP 2710p Tablet 1.86kg 1.8GHz 4GB Ram 120G Drive 12.1"
- HP 2730p Tablet 1.86kg 1.8GHz 4GB Ram 120G Drive 12.1"
- Lenovo T400 Laptop 2.4kg 2.4GHz 8GB Ram 160G Drive 14.1"

I do a lot of big data set analysis, but I must admit it would be so helpful to brainstorm and map out work flows etc, using the tablet interface etc.

There is also the Lenovo X200
Also I think the 2730p is the 2710p's successor. I don't think you can get the 2710p anymore.

The 2730p will be fast enough for office work; it is actually a 2.13ghz Core 2 duo. Same cache and fsb as a normal core 2 duo but lower voltage. I'd say its probably the best low voltage core 2 duo available.