PDA

View Full Version : No video display

mcginty
24-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I have an XP SP3 machine that turns off the screen as the Windows logo is displayed. The sequence is this:
Turn on
Usual start up information shows
Windows logo appears with progress bar for a about 30 seconds
Screen goes blank
Screen shows "no video signal"
Computer seems to be running alright

The screen works fine on other computers.
Anyone any ideas on the problem or diagnosing it without a display?

wainuitech
24-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Try starting the PC in safe mode, by tapping F8 on startup, select safe mode -- Does it boot OK ?

If it does, retry, this time select Last Known Good Configuration. If that doesn't work, boot again into safe mode, and run system restore back to when it did start OK.

mcginty
24-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks. F8 on my machine goes to a boot menu, I don't seem to be able to get the mode menu.

wainuitech
24-01-2010, 07:38 PM
I assume you get This Screen (http://www.raymond.cc/images/windows-safe-mode.gif) or similar -- what happens if you tap the arrow keys to move up or down the Menu's ?

mcginty
24-01-2010, 07:41 PM
This Screen returns 405 forbidden. I think you mean the list with Safe mode,Command,Normal startup etc. and no I don't see it.

wainuitech
24-01-2010, 07:52 PM
So it doesn't even get to the stage of showing the above -Hmmmmm -- Have you done any software upgrades or changed any hardware lately.

When was it last working OK. What sort of antivirus and security do you have - its possible you have a system full of bugs.

Do you have a windows XP CD, if so see if you can boot from that, and work through a couple of screens, but dont install anything. This is to simply test the graphics for a failure.

mcginty
25-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for your interest Wainuitech. I have used Avast for some time but about a month ago switched to Securiy Essentials and did a full scan (found a couple of trojans) so I don't think its virus related. No difference booting from a CD so I suspect video card failure. The problem started when I removed the screen for use elsewhere and then plugged it in again. It is an older machine used for running legacy programs so has had nothing new installed for some time.

kjaada
25-01-2010, 09:32 AM
The box is not an Ottimo TV and PC by any chance is it ?
I had an Ottimo that did this and it is serious.If it is an ottimo I can relate my
experience and the experience of many others if you want.

Sweep
25-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Check the computer end of the video cable for bent pins.

mcginty
25-01-2010, 09:45 AM
No its a "No name" box sold by Dick Smiths some years ago but I would interested to hear your experience kajaada

wainuitech
25-01-2010, 09:55 AM
This is a real long shot - but you dont have onboard Video and A video card do you, and have plugged it into the onboard instead by mistake -- Its real easy to do. But normally you wouldn't get any video at all if this happened.

feersumendjinn
25-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Check the computer end of the video cable for bent (or broken) pins.
x2

mcginty
25-01-2010, 10:02 AM
No bent pins (it works fine on another computer anyway) and just onboard video so only one place to pug it in. I think I will try a graphics card out of another computer....

kjaada
25-01-2010, 10:14 AM
On the ottimo the machine had overheated due to the intake airway becoming clogged with dust and the chip became unstuck from the mobo.This was all within about a month of buying the unit.On going to several forums the fault was widespread.I do not think the same situation would arise with a Desktop but it is a maybe as yr machine is old.