PDA

View Full Version : Paying someone overseas

aidanmaz
24-01-2010, 06:44 PM
My friend in the states is an emerging artist and has offered to design me a shirt. It would cost me US$35/NZ$50 for it to be done, how is the best way for me to pay him, as he isnt a company etc. would paypal do it, if he setup his bank account to it?

johcar
24-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Yep!

Sweep
24-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Or depending on the bank you only need the bank account number, pay anyone and pay the person.

Greg
24-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Or depending on the bank you only need the bank account number, pay anyone and pay the person.I never heard of that option before. (or at least not for free). It still requires a visit to the bank, in my experience.

When I've sent money to my daughters overseas I do it by either a bank draft or International money transfer. Both cost around $25 (Westpac)

Nomad
24-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Yep, bank cheque or telegraphic transfer is similar price now or the same. Sometimes a bank cheque might be cheaper within NZ thou but you are talking about international.

Fly there have a holiday and save the $50NZ provided it is under $10k so it does not need to be disclosed to Customs :D

Trev
24-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Check out your banks website.
This is how ANZ do it.
http://www.anz.co.nz/promo/Send-Money-Overseas/default.asp
:)

Sweep
24-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I never heard of that option before. (or at least not for free). It still requires a visit to the bank, in my experience.

When I've sent money to my daughters overseas I do it by either a bank draft or International money transfer. Both cost around $25 (Westpac)

Ummmm.

Did I say free?

I bank with ANZ.

I don't use paypal and have no idea whether it costs or not.

Westpac has no problem tranferring money anyway so I hear. They just have difficulty getting it back.

lakewoodlady
25-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Just buy the $35 USD at a NZ bank and post it to him inside a card or something. A little bit of a risk I know but people do it all the time. There is a small charge for buying foreign currency.
Paypal would still be a good and safe option though.

LL

Greg
25-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Just buy the $35 USD at a NZ bank and post it to him inside a card or something. A little bit of a risk I know but people do it all the time. There is a small charge for buying foreign currency.

LLProbably worth the risk for a small amount. Westpac charge $25 for a draft or a transfer.

plod
25-01-2010, 11:44 AM
My brother sends cash or cheque over from the UK several times a year for the children via a xmas or bday card. Never had a problem. Cheques can take a while to clear but no promblems

Marnie
25-01-2010, 12:33 PM

LL

For small amounts we do exactly that. Yes, it is a bit of a risk but so is anything you post.

Agent_24
25-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Paypal is OK, though just posting some money might be less hassle.

bob_doe_nz
25-01-2010, 03:10 PM
What about those Western Union places?

R2x1
25-01-2010, 03:45 PM
If it is going to someone you trust, WU is ok, but it doesn't give you any protection for internet buying.

PinoyKiw
25-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Western Union and it is near enough instant but the catch with sending money to the USA from NZ is that there is no fixed fee per block of money, I think it is a percentage. I wanted to send equal to $1000NZ to the US before Xmas, the fee was around $90 give or take, cannot remember exactly while by comparsion, I can send $1000 to the Philippines for I think a flat fee of $29, have't had to for a while so it might have increased since last time.

Cheaper option is to use a bank to bank transfer but that is usually around $25 for fee's bearing in mind that his bank might also charge a fee to get the money.

Kiwi cash in a card and let your friend change it over there, might come out a winner if the exchange rate was right or just buy some US cash and send in a card.

I am unsure what the NZ banks do for personal internet transfers but in Australia with Westpac Australia, I can transfer money to any account in many countries for just $20AUD as long as I have all there banking details as well as the Swift Code(s), not sure if any of the NZ banks offer such a arrangement that you can do yourself.