PDA

View Full Version : Ram Sticks

Poppa John
24-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Hi All.
Both of our computers have 1 x 1GB ram stick. I have acquired a 2 GB stick that I want to put into one of the comps & the, then, spare 1GB into the other. Making 2 GB in each.

Physically this is just a case of removing & replacing the sticks. Yes?

Will the comps then accept the increase in Ram without me doing anything else?

Thanks. PJ

Speedy Gonzales
24-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Should work, BUT that may depend on how much ram the mobo supports

Sweep
24-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Maybe. Suck it and see. Other than that post both motherboard makes and models and what current RAM you have. For all I know at this point is you have a 2 gig stick of RAM with nothing as to speed or what type.

Got a 2 gig SODIMM then it won't even fit if both are desktops.

Poppa John
24-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Should work, BUT that may depend on how much ram the mobo supports

http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=106583. According to your info. My M/B will accept 2GB+. I see no reason to doubt that Maryann's comp will as well.Dont know what her M/B is.

What difference will...1x2Gb or 2 x 1GB have on a comp? PJ

qazwsxokmijn
24-01-2010, 06:43 PM
What difference will...1x2Gb or 2 x 1GB have on a comp? PJ
Nothing, unless if the 2x 1GB sticks are faster. Are they the same speed?

Poppa John
24-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Nothing, unless if the 2x 1GB sticks are faster. Are they the same speed?

Dont know. Yet.

The 2GB is 800Mhz.

Right. I am going to shut down & try the 2GB stick in my comp. Wish me luck. PJ

qazwsxokmijn
24-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Well, I doubt your 2x 1GB sticks are 1000MHz or higher, so I would say there will be no difference between the 1x 2GB and 2x 1GB sticks.

Sweep
24-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Well, I doubt your 2x 1GB sticks are 1000MHz or higher, so I would say there will be no difference between the 1x 2GB and 2x 1GB sticks.

I'm inclined to agree.

2 x 1 gb if dual channel should be better than 1 x 2 gb.

But the difference will probably not be noticed.

Maryann
24-01-2010, 07:24 PM
PJ on Maryann's Computer.

OK I am in trouble.

The !gb I took out is 1GB DDR 800 &n the 2GB is the same.
Powered down the comp & removed the side panel. Left the power plug in. Held the case to earth me. Removed the 1gb & inserted the 2GB. Restart comp.Asks for boot disc & press any key. Do so & comp goes thro setup,

I get this.To set up windows XP now,Press enter

To repair a windows XP installation using recovery console, press R.

Toquit setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Now what? PJ

CliveM
24-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Pull the ram out and try again it may not be seated correctly

Maryann
24-01-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm inclined to agree.

2 x 1 gb if dual channel should be better than 1 x 2 gb.

But the difference will probably not be noticed.

Actually my comp is a dual channel. I assume you mean 64bit. It is running as 32 bit.
Should I then remove the 2Gb & fit the 2 x 1Gb instead? PJ

Maryann
24-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Ahhh, just had a thought. Would need to take the 1GB ram out of Maryanns comp first.

More than my life is worth!!!!! PJ

Maryann
24-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Pull the ram out and try again it may not be seated correctly

Trying that now PJ

Maryann
24-01-2010, 07:45 PM
PJ on Maryann's Computer.

OK I am in trouble.

The !gb I took out is 1GB DDR 800 &n the 2GB is the same.
Powered down the comp & removed the side panel. Left the power plug in. Held the case to earth me. Removed the 1gb & inserted the 2GB. Restart comp.Asks for boot disc & press any key. Do so & comp goes thro setup,

I get this.To set up windows XP now,Press enter

To repair a windows XP installation using recovery console, press R.

Toquit setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Now what? PJ

OK I am back to here, what should I do next. PJ

Sweep
24-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Actually my comp is a dual channel. I assume you mean 64bit. It is running as 32 bit.
Should I then remove the 2Gb & fit the 2 x 1Gb instead? PJ

Not talking about 64 bit at all.

Win 32 should see all RAM fitted correctly up to 2 Gig or will only see a bit over three Gig if you install say 4 gig.

Maryann
24-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Not talking about 64 bit at all.
OK. Do you mean two slots then? PJ

Sweep
24-01-2010, 07:56 PM
As I don't know what Motherboard is in Maryanns computer I can't advise.

But one stick will only go in one slot.

Maryann
24-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Ok so I took a punt & pressed Enter to conyim=nue. Next message was "No Hard dives found". Checked both plugs on seagate drive, wiggled them & pushed them in. Still no go. PJ

Metla
24-01-2010, 08:19 PM
If you want me to fix whatever you have done then you need to stop before it gets worse, and put it aside until I can get there. I'm afraid I wont be free until Friday.

Have been trying to find time over the last couple of days to call in but have been lumbered with the kids as Donna's work has kept her busy.

Maryann
24-01-2010, 08:27 PM
If you want me to fix whatever you have done then you need to stop before it gets worse, and put it aside until I can get there. I'm afraid I wont be free until Friday.

Have been trying to find time over the last couple of days to call in but have been lumbered with the kids as Donna's work has kept her busy.

OK Thanks. I was hoping it was going to be as easy as suggested on PF1. Clearly not for me. Have shut it down. Was trying not to bother you.

We are really happy that Donna is busy looks like she is a success. Good one. PJ

Metla
24-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Truly, I'm happy to be bothered, Im also happy for you to have a crack at it yourself ;).

But I can only come around when I can fit it into the time table.

pablo d
25-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Ok so I took a punt & pressed Enter to conyim=nue. Next message was "No Hard dives found". Checked both plugs on seagate drive, wiggled them & pushed them in. Still no go. PJ

Just a thought...when you say "both plugs" I assume you mean the SATA plug and power plug on the back of HDD itself?

If so, have you checked the other end of the SATA cable, i.e. at the motherboard end? Perhaps you knocked it when replacing the RAM sticks.

Incorrectly seated or faulty RAM shouldn't cause the issues you're describing.

utopian201
25-01-2010, 08:27 AM
if you put the original memory back in, does it all work again? Replacing ram doesn't need any software changes.

feersumendjinn
25-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Powered down the comp & removed the side panel. Left the power plug in. Held the case to earth me.
When you say you powered down, did you just shut down Windows?, because this would leave the motherboard still powered/live.
You needed to turn it off at the wall (or PSU) if you left the plug in to earth it.
:horrified

Maryann
25-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks Metla. I will wait. Obviously I know less than I think I do!!!

There are two leads to the HD one is red. The red one was loose, I pulled it out & plugged it in again. I wonder if that is when it lost its identity?

Woke up in the early hours, thinking about this. I turned off the computer from the front.
But...
I did not turn off the power switch. I thought to leave it on to earth any static from me. Silly me. I should have turned it off as the case earth would still have been connected.

So working on a live motherboard? Damn. What hav I done??

Not going to touch it. On Maranns comp with a warning!!!!!!!

PJ:blush::angry:horrified

Sweep
25-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Also do you have a Windows boot disk in your CD/DVD drive? Not that it should matter but it may be trying to boot off it.

Maryann
25-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Also do you have a Windows boot disk in your CD/DVD drive? Not that it should matter but it may be trying to boot off it.

Yes I was doing that as that is what the comp asked for. PJ

pablo d
25-01-2010, 09:11 AM
So working on a live motherboard? Damn. What hav I done??

If you had seriously damaged it then it wouldn't be booting up at all. The HDD wouldn't have lost its identity when you unplugged it either.

My money is still on loose SATA connector at the mobo end. Who's taking bets? :p

Poppa John
25-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Well. This silly old fart got lucky & Pablo may well have been correct.

The black tin box was out of the comp desk on a stool, overnight. I decided to put it back in its place.

Before I did I checked the red lead at the motherboard & it was in. I pulled it out, put it in & wiggled it to clean the contacts. Next the HD end. This is not a tight fit, but I unplugged & replugged & put the comp away.

Thought I would try one more time.

It works.After all that messing about & worrying. So it does indeed appear to be that red lead. Which is still a bit of a worry.

So Panic over. I do Really appreciate all the help from the Forum. Thankyou.PY:thanks:thanks:thanks

Metla. We would still like to see you if you can fit us in> PJ

feersumendjinn
25-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Phew! :banana:banana

Poppa John
25-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Phew! :banana:banana

I second that!!! PJ