PDA

View Full Version : Govt defends $45m Avatar spend

Trev
24-01-2010, 01:44 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10622013
For those who have seen it, what do you think.
:)

plod
24-01-2010, 01:57 PM
as long as the govt is seeing a return in their investment, i have no problem

Erayd
24-01-2010, 02:00 PM
"Economic Development Minister Gerry Brownlee said today the grant delivered more than $307 million in expenditure to the New Zealand economy."

Sounds like a pretty good return for a $45 million investment.

Metla
24-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Nice work.

The Government should be doing what it can to attract industry to NZ, Pity regional councils couldn't get it through their thick heads as well.

wainuitech
24-01-2010, 05:11 PM
"Economic Development Minister Gerry Brownlee said today the grant delivered more than $307 million in expenditure to the New Zealand economy."

Sounds like a pretty good return for a $45 million investment. Thats about the size of it :thumbs: -- Wish I had returns like that :lol: Better to have the Money Back in NZ than some other country.

prefect
24-01-2010, 05:28 PM
You gotta spend money to make money

John H
24-01-2010, 05:59 PM
And if you want the film industry to survive and create jobs and income for Godzone, you have to do stuff like this to compete with other countries who are giving out squillions.

Think back to what happened to the film industry when twats like Roger Douglas (and "his" Labour Government) tried to introduce a free market economy in NZ and stopped government support for industries like film.

Finally when the film industry was going to the wall, Labour brought back some sense like this. Fortunately the current mob are seeing sense and carrying this on. Not sure what Rodders from Epsom and Roger Kerr from the borer ridden RTable think of it though (but who cares?).

rob_on_guitar
25-01-2010, 09:55 AM
If you haven't seen it already, definitely see the 3d version while its in the cinemas still.
Although a predictable story, the effects were outstanding and the 3d was used to add to the movie instead of being just a gimmick.

Gobe1
25-01-2010, 01:11 PM
All good by me, havent seen the movie yet but will be going soon

wratterus
25-01-2010, 01:21 PM
As of this morning our time Avatar has grossed more than Titanic, ($1.825b) impressive effort!

If the government could make a $45m investment and have it bring back over $300m, who would complain at that? Sure, the whole $300m + won't go right back into the economy, but it's this kind of thing the government should do more of!

bob_doe_nz
25-01-2010, 01:46 PM
As of this morning our time Avatar has grossed more than Titanic, ($1.825b) impressive effort!

Is that taking inflation into account?

wratterus
25-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Is that taking inflation into account?

No, that would be interesting to work out though, if someone had the time.. :p

beeswax34
25-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Yes, it is taking inflation into account.

Cato
28-01-2010, 07:18 PM

Sounds like a pretty good return for a $45 million investment.

I don't understand how they got that $307m.

Production costs of the movie (less marketing, according to FOX) 237m USD. I am guessing that would have been 307m NZD a few months ago.

Not everything in Avatar was done in NZ. That 237m also includes all the wages, salary, moving costs, and everything you can think of, how would any of this money contribute to the NZ economy?

Peterj116
28-01-2010, 08:00 PM
That 237m also includes all the wages, salary, moving costs, and everything you can think of, how would any of this money contribute to the NZ economy?

Huh?
Let's see.... someone comes to NZ for work... gets paid upwards of $11,000 a week to work on Avatar.... the guy needs to eat.. somewhere to live.. a car to drive, since it was a multi-year project...
People who earn that sort of money coming into the country... Hell yeah, they're gonna spend up big here.

And there were numerous people with that earning/spending power here.

NZ movies attracting millionaire actors for months-long movie shoots... you think they stay at the YMCA?
It's all money for the top hotels, restaurants, all manner of small businesses in the filming location.

Money well spent.
To say nothing of the free publicity to attract not-so-rich tourists.

I'd rather spend my taxes on attracting big spenders, than on stomach-stapling for selfish Wellington fatcats.

R2x1
28-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Quite right, far too little money is going to the Hotel owners.

Gobe1
29-01-2010, 10:11 AM
And the govt