PDA

View Full Version : Default mail program

06-08-2001, 10:09 PM
Hi,I have just reformated and reloaded my hard drive,and now I cannot get Outlook Express to be my default e-mail program.I hit the 'make default'button in Outlook Express,but every time I check the settings in Internet Explorer,the e-mail option is blank,and the only thing in the drop down list is Outlook.I have win95,IE5.5,office 97.Any ideas?
Thanks
Peter

06-08-2001, 11:32 PM
Unfortunatly if Outlook Express wan't integrated you could just reinstall, but the uninstall option doesn't actually remove anything so it doesn't work.

To edit the list of mail clients, open the registry editor (regedit.exe), and naviagate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail

and follow the design of the others.

If you dont want to do that copy and paste the following into a file and name it OEmapi.reg:
------FROM HERE----------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express]
'DLLPath'='C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\\MSIMNUI.DLL'
@='Outlook Express'

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\Protocols]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\Protocols\mailto]
@='URL:MailTo Protocol'
'EditFlags'=hex:02,00,00,00
'URL Protocol'=''

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\Protocols\mailto\DefaultIcon]
@='C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\\MSIMN.EXE,-6'

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\Protocols\mailto\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\Protocols\mailto\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\Protocols\mailto\shell\open\command]
@='\'C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\\MSIMN.EXE\' /mailurl:%1'

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\shell\open\command]
@='\'C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\\MSIMN.EXE\' /mail'

--------TO HERE-----------
dont copy the '-----...' lines though.

One last thing. I have to point out, as you've said you have reinstalled, why not change to a decent email program, eg Eudora. It will save you a lot of problems and make you immune to the all of the Outlook Worms.