PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Money

John Robb
23-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I have been using MS Money since 2004 and just before Xmas my compuetr crashed. I have the program disk and backups so all should be OK.
However I bought a new computer running Win 7 and I can't get money to run.
I have a feeling that I upgraded the original program to a later version some years ago.
When I start money 2004 it says it cant read my data. I downloaded Money 2007 from MSoft as a trial version but that also says it cannot read my data.
The sequence of events goes like this:
1 The program loads and says it will convert the data.
2 However it then says it cannot locate or cannot convert the file.
Exactly the same thing happens with the newer version.

I suspect it may have something to do with Win 7. I have not tried Microsoft as they have stopped selling and supporting Money.

Any ideas would be most welcome
Cheers
John

CliveM
23-01-2010, 09:26 PM
I had the same problem.
The fix is to forget about your data - Install MSMoney and set it up as if you have never used it before (Just put in a small amount of tempory stuff for it to use). It will go on line and update itself. Once that is done close MSMoney - find the file it made using explorer - delete it - replace that file with yours - it will then work ok.

wainuitech
23-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Will the program and data load on another XP computer -- Just to make sure its not corrupted some place ??

If it does, install XP Mode on the PC - Have a read Post 8 (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=106788) and last lines in post 4 from this thread-- May or may not be of some help.

John Robb
23-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Many thanks Clive, your fix worked a treat.
What a lifesaver!
Am switching to quicken but having the old data is worth a great deal to me
Once again many thanks
Cheers
John

gary67
24-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Yes I had the same issue last year. You have to get Money to do the update before it can import your file, I found the info out from MS's website somewhere. It can't import your file because it was made with a newer version of money than what you have installed. As the old install had updated itself before the crash, once the update is done then it will import the data fine