PDA

View Full Version : Deletion of History use on the internet

06-08-2001, 09:09 PM
My son keeps going into the history button and deleting where he has been! Can anyone tell me a way to block him from doing this, or any other way that I can check up on where he has been?

06-08-2001, 09:50 PM
...there are a number of ways to block 'other' users from using selected functions on one's own system using 'policies' - although these often require slightly advanced skills.

In adition, there are a multitude of free utilities available for downloading to keep track of what's happening on your system - but these generally tend to be resource hogs.

If your Browser is Internet Explorer 5x the following manual trick will enable you to see where he has been. You might wish to 'copy & paste' it for reference:

-------------------------

Internet Explorer keeps a record of your browsing history in an 'index.dat' file which anyone can view. The easiest way to locate this file is through the Find function off the Start bar.

In the Named box, type 'C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files' (sans quotes) and C:DRIVE (where that is your main drive) in the Look-in box, then press Enter or click Find now.

In the results page, scroll down to find the 'Index.dat'. It will vary in size - maybe more than 2MB even. You will be unable to open or view the file directly, so use the following:

Right click on file and click 'Copy'. Then, right click on your desktop and click 'paste'. Right click on the file and click 'rename' - then change the file name to something like 'index_bla.dat'.

Next, double click on file and choose 'open with Word pad' (chances are it will be too big for your Notepad) ...and scroll down to read your history.

-------------------------

I hope this is of some help.

Cheers!!!

e_

06-08-2001, 10:31 PM
Thank you, I have got on good upto the point of double clicking to open the file when I get the following message 'C:\windows\desktop\index_bla.dat is not a valid Win32 application.

Can you help me some more please.

Thanks

07-08-2001, 07:14 AM
...Ken's suggestion of changing the file name's extention to .txt should work.

If not, delete the underscore '_' in the first suggestion so that it reads indexbla.dat (or anything at all really, but retaining the .dat extension).

Anyway, my reason for revisiting your post is that in the (unlikely) event your son has emptied the index.dat file - your Registry is another place to look.

CAUTION: Changes to the Registry require advanced skills. However, the following directions are quite safe if you change nothing and only look:

Go - Start > Run > type 'Regedit' (sans quotes) > press Enter. This will open your Registry Editor.

Click the '+' symbols as follows and drill down to view the 'Typed URLS':

+ HKEY_CURRENT_USER + Software + Microsoft + Internet Explorer + then left click on the folder named 'Typed URLS'.

In the right hand panel will be a history which you can safely scroll up or down to view.

If your son has removed his traces from here - plus the other places suggested by Ken - then, as a parent, you might well have grounds for concern: he's definitely hiding his traces (!)

Best wishes, Steve.

e_