PDA

View Full Version : Burning a Region 2 DVD for a NZ DVD player

cpg
23-01-2010, 04:34 PM
A friend purchased a Region 2 DVD disc, not realising it will not play on her elderly Region 4 DVD player.

If I burnt a copy of her DVD using Nero, would that remove the Region 2 protection so she is able to view that disc on her player?

If not, what burning software do you recommend to remove the Region 2 coding.

trinsic
23-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Grab a copy of DVD Decryptor (its free), burn the DVD as an ISO to your PC and then burn it to a disc using the same program (the burning options are in the 'mode' tab).

I've done this for my mum a number of times as the Warehouse has a tendency to sell region 2 DVD's and she only has a region 4 player.

Nero could probably do it, if it for some reason doesn't allow you to then get a program called DVD43 and run it alongside Nero (it removes DVD protection).

Hopper
23-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Most DVD players should have a 'hack' to allow multi region playback, try to search the web for the model number.

cpg
23-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks Trinisic - yes I think she bought it from The Warehouse too! As you suggested, I will try DVD Decrypter.

Hopper - yes I considered that too but she lives in another town and I doubt she would be confident enough to follow any instructions I gave her to remove the region protection.

Hopper
23-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Ok, worth a try :)

cpg
24-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions to my original enquiry.

I tried the various options suggested but eventually settled on Slysoft "AnyDVD". It's advantage is that it just sits in your toolbar tray and without user intervention it removes any protections or region codes on the locked disc - whether it's to make a "region free" copy of a DVD, or if you just want to watch a DVD on (say) a laptop with a DVD drive that is locked into a particular region.

AnyDVD will also report what protection exists on a disc and what region it is coded for. This is handy to confirm that a DVD disc you have burnt from a copy-protected original has been liberated of it codings and protections.

This exercise has diminished my support for the Recording Industries efforts to stamp out illegal downloading and copying of movies. Here a friend purchases a DVD disc from a retailer in good faith expecting it to work in her machine but it won't because this same Recording Industry, purely for financial profit, is dictating what parts of the world a customer can view a disc they lawfully purchased.

It would be equivilent to the NZ Herald saying you can only read their newspaper in Auckland and if you take it out of Auckland we will make the ink disappear from the page so you can't read it.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

trinsic
24-01-2010, 12:42 PM
DVD43 does the same thing as AnyDVD except its free of course.

Sweep
24-01-2010, 12:57 PM
DVD43 does the same thing as AnyDVD except its free of course.

DVD43 does not run on my 64 bit system BTW.

kahawai chaser
24-01-2010, 01:28 PM
I think their is a setting in device manager under DVD/CD drives to change country/region settings under properties...

Speedy Gonzales
24-01-2010, 01:29 PM
There is BUT you can only change it so many times (4 I think), then it'll lock the region

utopian201
25-01-2010, 09:25 AM
The best method would be to set your dvd writer to be region free when you first get it.
Yes I agree there should be a way to make your mother's dvd player to be region free (it normally involves holding down several buttons when turning it one)

trinsic
25-01-2010, 10:49 AM
DVD43 does not run on my 64 bit system BTW.
Ahh right, DVDFab HD Decrypter is free and works then.

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Agent_24
25-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Most DVD players now are multizone anyway. My Dick Smith one is.