PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Data Files

Cellux
22-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Trying to load a data file(.pst) into Outlook 2007 (Trial) so that I can export the mail into Thunderbird (Or any other mail client).

Ttrying to add the data file: Outlook 2007 -> File Menu -> Data File Management... -> Data Files -> Add... -> Popup asking what version of pst file (Office Outlook Personal Folders File OR Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File) Choosing the first option -> Popup saying "This command is not available because the application is in reduced functionality mode. You may need to close and restart the application to resolve the issue."
No matter the amount of times I restart Outlook or the computer, it doesn't work.

The same popup happens if you go through the Control Panel -> Mail -> Data Files.

Operating System:
Windows XP Home Edition
Service Pack 3

Other needed information:
The computer had a failed Hard drive. It was replaced and the user profiles were copied back onto the computer after a clean install. All updates and drivers were done before files were transfered onto the new hard drive from a backup.

I'v tried using the Thunderbird plugin available for the 2.0 release (Which I downgraded to, to use this plugin) called "PST Import Plugin 1.2"
It pops up with an error in French saying the PST file cannot be opened (Possibly because it's not compatible with Outlook 2007)

A lot documents that I'v found on the internet --Including Mozilla's support websites-- say that you need Outlook as the default mail client for Thunderbird to import mail. Which is fine, but Outlook simply won't add the data files in the first place.

Please help.

Speedy Gonzales
22-01-2010, 11:23 AM
That message probably means you'll either have to activate it or buy it then activate it. To get what you're trying to do. Since its a trial.

Cellux
22-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Damn.
I can only hope not.

12steps
22-01-2010, 11:29 AM
speedy (x2)
going to have to bite the bullet im afraid, unless you can pop onto a friends pc with a full version of outlook installed...

Cellux
22-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Microsoft's MAPI needs to be redesigned.
Default mail client stuff is crap.

But yeah, I might be able to find someone with it somewhere.

Thanks for the info, Speedy Gonzales and 12steps.

CYaBro
22-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Have you activated the trial? Or have you used up the 60 days?

Cellux
22-01-2010, 12:28 PM
It's a fresh HDD and windows install.
It's about 3 days into the trial.

All I'v done is installed it and tried to add them after that.

SolMiester
22-01-2010, 12:39 PM
can you not import the data file into the thunderbird?, rather than opening the file to copy

Cellux
22-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Because of how Microsoft coded their MAPI (Mail Application Programming Interface), they've made it so that only the default mail client (WinXP: Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Programs -> E-mail) can use all the features properly. I'm not sure on all the details, but Thunderbird can only import the mail and folders from an Outlook PST file when Outlook is the default mail client.

But that's fine, it's just Outlook is being "noob".

CYaBro
22-01-2010, 12:53 PM
So have you run the Office Activation wizard on the desktop, requested a trial key and then opened MS Word and copied and pasted the key in the box that comes up?
Then close and open Word again and activate Office?

ronyville
22-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Have you tried opening the data file instead. File>open>Outlook Data File> browse to the PST file and open it. Hope this help.

Cellux
22-01-2010, 01:30 PM
CYaBro, Yes. I did that when I downloaded it.

But thank God, the problem has been resolved.
The problem is that when I activated it originally (While also installing an anti-virus) it messed up somehow. -- Funny, as AVG is usually quite tame.

Reinstalled/activated etc and it worked.

Thanks for all your help.
I appreciatte it.